What is the fastest speed you have cycled ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
38 without too much tailwind, 40++ with a Gale that I could only do 4mph riding into.

Even now at my advanced years I want to see at least 30mph if only for a short while on every ride.

Ha, that is one of my rules as well. Never do a ride where I don't hit 30mph somewhere :smile:

rualexander

Legendary Member
56mph down a long straight road in Tasmania fully loaded with camping gear, 54mph down the hill south of Clisham on Harris and also down The String road on Arran.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
There may be a big difference between the fastest you have ever gone and the fastest you have been going when you last dared to look at the speedo. I've seen 37mph come up on Fish Hill near Broadway (Worcs), but to be honest I generally don't dare take my eyes off the road surface ahead once I pass about 33. Once I pass 25 on a hill, I have the stopping distance of an oil tanker. Once did 25 on the flat for a couple of hundred yards, but massively wind-assisted. I have seen @Dark46 descend at over 50mph with his chain hanging off. I'd have him committed.

Last edited:

andyfraser

Über Member
There may be a big difference between the fastest you have ever gone and the fastest you have been going when you last dared to look at the speedo. I've seen 37mph come up on Fish Hill near Broadway (Worcs), but to be honest I generally don't dare take my eyes off the road surface ahead once I pass about 33. Once I pass 25 on a hill, I have the stopping distance of an oil tanker. Once did 25 of the flat for a couple of hundred yards, but massively wind-assisted. I have seen @Dark46 descend at over 50mph with his chain hanging off. I'd have him committed.
My Garmin has a field for the highest speed reached on a ride so I wait until I've slowed down and look then. :smile:

Garmin says I've been faster on the flat than I have downhill, 48mph and for a sustained period of time but zooming in I've suddenly jump over to other side of railway tracks for a distance and back again, I suspect interference :rolleyes: I've definitely seen speeds of over 30mph in the Fens and sprints but most of my rides have elements of climb/descent so its not easy to pick out max on the flat. I know Ive went faster but this training session is consistently over 30mph in one direction, maxing at 31.6mph, I can pull that out quickly and I believe that :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My Garmin has a field for the highest speed reached on a ride so I wait until I've slowed down and look then. :smile:
I discovered that field on mine the other day when trying to change one field from 'Elapsed Time' to 'Overall Speed'. My maximum since the last reset was 77 kph (48 mph), which is a bit down on the more usual ~88 kph (55 mph).

It has been a slowish year compared to some in the past because I don't have a high enough top gear to pedal to higher speeds, my weight loss has reduced my freewheeling terminal velocity, and many of the times that I would normally be doing higher speeds have been on days with unfavourable wind conditions.

I was talking to someone on my last forum ride about adrenaline junkies and he surprised me by suggesting that I must be one because I descend a lot faster than him. In fact I am the opposite - I am generally a bit of a wimp - for example, I won't go on rollercoasters and I am hopeless with heights. It's just that I don't feel out of control at 80 kph on a bike. That would be on a long slope of about 5%-6% where it takes some time to build the speed up. Steep descents are a different matter - anything over about 10% makes me very nervous because speed builds up very rapidly and is hard to shed quickly without risking losing control. I would probably keep my speed down to 50-60 kph max on slopes like that, and often a lot less.

I descend more cautiously when there are sheep roaming about, gusting crosswinds, a poor road surface or a tight bend ahead.

44.5 mph descending from Spelga.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
My fastest was 51mph on the A53 towards Leek, but the speed which stands out in my mind was when I was on the Isle of Lewis heading for Rhenegidale. There was a very strong headwind and I was going downhill and struggled to do 11mph, then came to a hairpin bend and once I'd got round it (which was difficult in itself) b*****r me, it was like a cork out of a bottle and within a very short time I was doing 44mph and overshot the right hand turn I needed to do despite hauling on my brakes for all I was worth.

speccy1

About 10 years ago, 54mph coming down from the hills of Dartmoor, I`ve grown a little more sensible since then

About 38ish coming down Beacon Hill in Leicestershire.

Overtook a guy on a moped today coming down a hill at 31mph....think I suprised him!

Clanghead

41.5 mph going downhill at Otterbourne nr Winchester on tandem with other half stoking, about 20 years ago, after making her promise not to use hub brake which was her only form of control, just to see how fast we could go. Agreed, and happy, to never try that again.

Top Bottom