What is the issue (paranoia?) with giving a phone number to someone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
A friend has two offspring, both recent graduates, who hate talking on phones. They won't even answer the home landline.

They use Twitter/Instagram/FB/WhatsApp all the time though.

Nonetheless, they are both more than happy to undergo job interviews via online webcam.
Sounds about right. :wacko:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Having been teaching in various guises for 33 years, I'm more than comfortable holding the attention of rooms full of people. But ask me to make a phone call when other people can overhear, and I'll do anything to avoid it. :smile:

My land line is ex-directory and I'm coy about revealing the number unless I know the person, due to past problems. So I use a mobile phone for casual use, however cellphone reception is patchy. Email / Whatsapp / messenger comes through my WiFi, so prefer those methods.

yello

Like others, I too have a dislike of making phone calls tbh. I do it, obviously, because sometimes you have to!

I've never really thought too much about the 'why' of it. I'd kind of assumed it's to do with my natural shyness but upon reflection I realise that I actually find the conversation a little unsettling because I can't see the person I'm talking to. Like I'm talking to nobody. Maybe I need the reassurance of seeing facial expressions etc? Dunno. I think maybe I even become a different person on the phone, as I either tend to gabble a bit or go entirely the opposite direction and become monosyllabic and overly functional. I'm certainly not relaxed on the phone, let's put it that way!

byegad

Legendary Member
Having been pestered to death by phone calls in our old house, we moved 3 yrs ago, and have an ex-directory new number. Itis given to a very select small group. This has vastly reduced junk calls, and if I ever find the beggars calling with recorded messages I'll have none. Always assuming the police catch up with me, I don't think you can get calls in gaol.

perplexed

Guru
TBH i have pretty much given up on freecycle as most of the people on it are either ebayers etc after stock or you arrange a time and they dont turn up at all , its amazing how many people have relatives who die all of a sudden when they are due to collect .

I used to know a plasterer a bit like that - the unluckiest man in the world. He broke about 3 appointments because his wife/daughter/a.n.other relative had just had a car crash...

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A former partner had mine and would send me texts at all sorts of inappropriate times of the day.

I've had my number for 15years or so, so not wanting to change it

yello

Is that Pizza Hut in Amersfoort?

Edit: not a Pizza Hut, no, but there relevance of who it is escapes me!

Last edited:
^^^ Sorry you've lost me.

Is that Pizza Hut in Amersfoort?

Edit: not a Pizza Hut, no, but there relevance of who it is escapes me!

Its the number for my fax machine. In the 49 minutes it's been on display, no one has rung me. I'm going to turn it off now.

ETA I: Post deleted as it was actually my home number. :shy:

ETA II: I have since had three scam phone calls, apparently from New York.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

A Dutch Fixed line number, how many calls would you like?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm surprised so many people still have home landlines.
We were offered one recently by Virgin media as I signed up to their broadband, but I said to the engineer not to bother with a phone cable.
He gave us the number though and said it's not uncommon not to have a landline fitted.

Top Bottom