What is the shortest distance one would need to travel on mainland Europe...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At a guess, and without consulting a map, probably/possibly around the former Yugoslavia and its neighbours.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For completeness, the other thread was https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/i...ist-what-would-you-like-me-to-ask-him.220900/

Consulting a route planner, FYR Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, Austria is about 1150km and I think the Benelux, Germany, France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Italy, Slovenia combination which I think is more popular is about 1300.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Start in Helsingborg SE and go via DK, DE, NL, BE, LU, FR, CH, LIE to AT is about 900 miles.

srw

....and Helsingborg is a perfectly lovely place to start :-)
But...lot's of flat and windy terrain to cross.
Admittedly you have to start with a ferry, which might be considered cheating.

Add another 100 miles and you're in IT, for 11 countries inside 1000 miles.

srw

...and Professor Google tells me that you can now shave off tens of miles by starting in Malmo.

https://www.curbed.com/2017/3/6/14815766/bike-ferry-copenhagen-malmo

srw

...and since my conference call isn't hugely interesting I've experimented starting from CZ and going via various bits of ex-YU to Greece. 12 countries in less than 1000 miles.

Whether any of these routes are worth riding, of course, is another question.

mjr

...and since my conference call isn't hugely interesting I've experimented starting from CZ and going via various bits of ex-YU to Greece. 12 countries in less than 1000 miles.

Whether any of these routes are worth riding, of course, is another question.
So still not getting near my 1150km then? ;)

mjr

More countries! And Kosovo isn't universally recognised as an independent country.
More countries? So off-topic then? ;)

And it's recognised by the UK, most of the EU, more than half of the UN... but I think starting from Greece into Albania instead would only add 200km to make 1350km, less than the 900 miles.

What the shortest distance to do 12 - 9705km is the shortest I've managed it in so far :smile:

Edit - 13 - I miscounted ^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom