What is this fascination with hill climbing??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I mean why seek out hills and suffer?? Is it some kind of sado masochistic trait in cyclists?...Madness I tell you...go around...:sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't see the point in climbing them if you can go round ... but the view at the top might be good and you have to remember its usually a good ride back down again:biggrin:.

i don't climb hills unless they are followed by a good downhill! clubmates couldn't understand me , as a non climbing heavyweight ,taking a 2 miles longer and slightly hillier route home until i pointed out that i got a one and a half mile downhill to my front door by doing so instead of a one mile climb.

Melvil

Living in Scotland as I do, I have to admit that I've started to love climbing hills, bike or foot - call me a masochist but it just feels right here, like good honest work, especially if you keep up a steady rhythm all the way to the top and don't bonk halfway up!

Because they're there........................................................and there's only one road and I can't go round them - Also Scotland.

Joe

Über Member
I love them!
Well I say that now sitting at my computer, but half way up a tough one I'm always swearing under my breath about never going up hill again! But it's incredibly satisfying to get to the top. Endorphins kick in, I forget how much it hurt and I want to do it again:blush:
It's even worse if there are other cyclists about as my competitive streak kicks in and I'll kill myself trying to get up there first. Luckily I'm quite well built for climbing (8st 10) and don't seem to struggle quite as much as some people. It's definitely all about rhythm and nice low gearing.
It's a shame there are no longer hills around, and I need to pit myself against some alpine slogs sometime.
I'd prefer suffering up a hill than being scared shitless coming down:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Love hills, not much choice living next to the Peak District... Hills are horrible if you aren't at a good level of fitness....I was avoiding any big hills in early 2007, but since Mid year I've been flying up them and tend to ride in the hills that on the flat...not even too fussed about the descents....its the ascent that is the challenge !

Chris James

Über Member
I too have difficulty avoiding hills where I live. In fact my house is 200m above sea level and most of the roads into my village have one chevron on an OS map so after a day spent hill climbing I also have a nasty sting in the tail just getting home.

I went for a spin on Sunday morning and it occured to me that almost none of the 25 miles were actually on the flat. I was either going up steep hills in bottom gear or freewheeling downhill at 35mph for almost the entirety of the ride.

I enjoyed hills more when I grew up in Chester and we used to ride out to Wales for a change. I am better at hill climbing now (probably) but I would love to go for a flat Cheshire plain spin once in a while!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Maybe there's something aspirational going on too. You can't hire Wembley for a kickabout, or drive F1 cars at Silverstone, but most cyclists can grind up their local hill and think 'This isn't so bad, maybe I'll go and try Alpe D'Huez in the summer'.
Cycling is one of the few sports where you can get pro-level kit and use the same environment as the pros.:biggrin::tongue:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
@Waffles,

I've got a hill near me that's better going up than down. It has a slightly loose surface, it's a bit too steep and has a t junction with a main road at the bottom!
Actually, I just don't like that hill at all.

Top Bottom