What is wrong with the wind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We live in a country that has prevailing westerly winds. The Gulf Stream is responsible apparently. So when buying our new house, I took this into account so that on the way to work (which is mainly downhill) I'd have the wind in my face, but on the way back the wind would be helping me up the hills. Sorted...... OK, I'll admit that wasn't really a driver for buying the new house, but that's how it worked out.

So what has happened? It's all gone pear shaped! :ohmy: The winter has been great in Glasgow this year. It's been unusually dry (with the odd flutter of snow). That's been smashin'. However, the wind has got it wrong. It doesn't seem to know which direction it is supposed to be coming from. What's that all about? It has been from the east the vast majority of the time! :wacko:

So who can I write to? The Met Office? East Dunbartonshire Council? Al Gore? Purveyors of wind inducing currys? 4x4 drivers? I need someone to blame! :thumbsup:

Bahh! :smile:;)

mr Mag00

rising member
if you want souwesterlies you will get the wet weather so which is it to be?

Norm

mr Mag00 said:
if you want souwesterlies you will get the wet weather so which is it to be?
Indeed. Easterlies come across the steppes (excuse the poetic licence) bringing cold but dry air. The alternative is a little soggy.:laugh:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
Look forward to the Spring Mag, good weather??? and a tail wind.

Actually, I can't complain. I think it has been drier up here in Glasgow than it has been down south. A quirk of the east/north easterlies I suppose. The last couple of days have been pretty poor though. Yesterday on the way home the wind and snow was in my face most of the way home, and due to the risk of slippy surfaces I didn't take my nice scenic route. :biggrin:

Still, it'll make the lazy,hazy crazy days of summer all the sweeter! :laugh:

jimboalee

The Atlantic Jetstream has been particularly southerly this winter, like last winter.
What determines the position of the Jetstream is the obsorption or reflection of the Sun's IR in the upper atmosphere.

Large amounts of particulate matter in the upper atmosphere reflect IR and cool the pole, and the Jetstream wanders southerly.

Large amounts of particulate matter has been emitted by Ol Doinyo Lengai, a volacno in Tanzania, since mid 2007.

The previous 'bad winter' in the UK was in 1981 following the eruption of Mt St Helens. Before that was Krackatoa and Tambora, when the Thames froze at London Bridge on both occasions.

So if you wish to apportion responsibility on someone, the God Vulcan might be worthy of taking the blame. Another 'What the Romans did for us' situation.

johnsie

magnatom said:
We live in a country that has prevailing westerly winds. The Gulf Stream is responsible apparently. So when buying our new house, I took this into account so that on the way to work (which is mainly downhill) I'd have the wind in my face, but on the way back the wind would be helping me up the hills. Sorted...... OK, I'll admit that wasn't really a driver for buying the new house, but that's how it worked out.

So what has happened? It's all gone pear shaped! :smile: The winter has been great in Glasgow this year. It's been unusually dry (with the odd flutter of snow). That's been smashin'. However, the wind has got it wrong. It doesn't seem to know which direction it is supposed to be coming from. What's that all about? It has been from the east the vast majority of the time! :biggrin:

So who can I write to? The Met Office? East Dunbartonshire Council? Al Gore? Purveyors of wind inducing currys? 4x4 drivers? I need someone to blame! :smile:

Bahh! :biggrin::laugh:

Come move to Norfolk - here we have so many wind farms being planned for the North Sea that there soon won't be enough puff to dry a pair of skeggies!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I thought it was El Nino's fault?

boydj

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Actually, I can't complain. I think it has been drier up here in Glasgow than it has been down south. A quirk of the east/north easterlies I suppose. The last couple of days have been pretty poor though. Yesterday on the way home the wind and snow was in my face most of the way home, and due to the risk of slippy surfaces I didn't take my nice scenic route. :sad:

Still, it'll make the lazy,hazy crazy days of summer all the sweeter! :sad:

+1

Other than the bitterly cold mornings, January and February have been pretty kind to us cyclists in this part of the world. The winds have been easterly, which is not unusual at this time of the year, but, until yesterday, they have been pretty light. And hardly any rain.... bet spring makes up for it though.

magnatom said:

So what has happened? It's all gone pear shaped! :ohmy: The winter has been great in Glasgow this year. It's been unusually dry (with the odd flutter of snow). That's been smashin'. However, the wind has got it wrong. It doesn't seem to know which direction it is supposed to be coming from. What's that all about? It has been from the east the vast majority of the time! :biggrin:

So who can I write to? The Met Office? East Dunbartonshire Council? Al Gore? Purveyors of wind inducing currys? 4x4 drivers? I need someone to blame! :angry:

Bahh! :angry::sad:

I blame the BBC... or the government... or both... and Jeremy Clarkson :sad:

I work with a guy who cycles the opposite direction to me 9 days out of 10 I get the wind in my face. Oooh the days when he struggles in red faced and panting are great:evil:

Tynan

Veteran
no-one do O level geography?

the wind goes in circles around pressure sytems so can come from any direction it wants to

Top Bottom