Votes: 16 12.2%
  • £500+

Votes: 14 10.7%
  • £250+

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Less than £250

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My bike cost more than my wife thinks it did. :thumbsup:

Ditto. I always mention the frame only price for any bike I buy.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
looks like 1k is the magic marker, wonder why this value rather than anything else
£1000 is about the price you can get a bike that can be raced at any level. After that the Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in. You'll have a performance advantage riding something costing five grand, but only over someone of the same ability as yourself, and it won't be that much of one.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Viner's insured for £2.6k (bought as a complete bike on eBay and then upgraded). Frame would be £1400 or so new, Athena carbon group (£600 or so), Zonda wheelset (£350 street price), then finishing kit..
Guy I know just got a Dogma 2 with Record EPS. He was going to save up for a new wheelset then four days later got Zipp 404 Carbon Clinchers. That's £10k + easy.....

Glover Fan

My current best bike is worth about £1,200. To make a worthwhile upgrade, I have concluded my next bike will have to cost in the region of 2.5k. Try telling my wife that though. Funny, she never complained when I spunked my money on cars.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My carbon uberbike probably cost me £550 all in, but I couldn't get a carbon frame with handbuilt Mavic Pro and 105 for under £1500 these days, so that's what I've put. Similarly, my M6R cost well under £700 retail (so about half that on C2W) but I'd get very little change from a grand now...

ayceejay

Guru
There is pattern emerging that suggests the question needs some tweaking. Firstly this is not an investment with a monetary return, an expensive bike will probably be more fun to ride than a cheap one but the price you get for it on ebay later will make you cry. Do you want to and can you afford to buy a £3000.00 bike? Once spent that money is gone. The other thing is that 'the wife' may not see it the same way as you and so 'cost' and 'worth' may mean different things to different people.

D

Deleted member 1258

There is pattern emerging that suggests the question needs some tweaking. Firstly this is not an investment with a monetary return, an expensive bike will probably be more fun to ride than a cheap one but the price you get for it on ebay later will make you cry. Do you want to and can you afford to buy a £3000.00 bike? Once spent that money is gone. The other thing is that 'the wife' may not see it the same way as you and so 'cost' and 'worth' may mean different things to different people.

My best bike has now been discontinued so I would have to look round for a replacement.
The other thing with an expensive bike is you are going to be more nervous about leaving it parked up somewhere. Yes the expensive bike is more fun to ride, but I'm no faster than I was on the old heaps and the cobbled together from bits bikes that I rode for years, and I'm more nervous about leaving the bike untended.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
My Claude Butler Dalesman cost me £150 from the local bike doctor, but is probably now worth considerably less having been devalued by my fat arse.

I reckon my Raleigh MTB must be worth at least £23 but it runs pretty smooth and is tough as hell's plumbing.

Top Bottom