Votes: 16 12.2%
  • £500+

Votes: 14 10.7%
  • £250+

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Less than £250

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
It would be difficult to buy a direct brand new replacement for any of my bikes without visiting a frame builder.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My 2 bikes are 30 years and 24 years old. The youngest, the MTB cost me £350 used in '88 but is well dated with chain stay U-Brakes and original Bio-Pace chainset. The Road bike I bought as a bare frame in '82 for about £80 and transferred all the bits from a Puch Prima 12 across and have been upgrading ever since. Last bits were some Tektro levers and brakes fitted last month. There's nothing left from the Puch except the front Maillard Normandy front hub.

Can't see that they'll be worth much to anyone other than me.

I would like something more up to date and lighter but money is too tight at the moment :whistle:.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Actually i dont care about the results, im motivated only by the desire to create a tidy curve.

This one is a fail.
Make the price bands even and I reckon you'd have got a nice Pareto.

And I'd just like to point out that not all bikes are made for one person - and may distort the results.

defy-one

As i'm picking up my Defy 1 tommorow - it's worth £999, but to me it's worth so much more in terms of health & pleasure

Sent from my GT-I9100

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Let's not confuse worth with cost please, allow me with the help of MasterCard to explain:-

Wheels: £900
Frame: £850
Groupset: £600

Taking Brockley Hill at over 45mph, priceless.

I guess that is coming down Brockley Hill, not going up?:eek:

My bike cost me £1500 9 years ago, the value of it with savings on petrol, time, convienience etc. are priceless.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
My latest trike was £4k but it wasn't off the shelf. If I'd had the as-specified-version (i.e. no Alfine-11, no dynohub, some other specific changes) I think it'd have been about £2,800.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Both my bikes are getting on a bit. In fact the MTB I bought for £30 about 8 yrs ago, and have no idea how old it was when I bought it... It's had new tyres, new back wheel, chainrings, rear block, chain, but front and rear mech are the same, shifters same, frame obv the same.*

The roadie was bought (sale) for £299 about 7 yrs ago, so cheap and cheerful, but decent quality (Giant). The only thing the same about it is the frame* [edit] (and handlebars/stem, saddle/stem, brake calipers)

*So, one conclusion and one question:
1) I can't put a value on them; they were cheap, but I've spent a fair amount of cash making them 'my own' over the years.

*2) At what point does a bike become like "Trigger's Broom". i.e. does the frame = my roadie, seeing as everything else has been replaced? Is the frame the 'soul' of the bike?

Francesca

£2,000

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Make the price bands even and I reckon you'd have got a nice Pareto.
clip_image001.gif

Normalising to allow for the unevenness of the bands - that's pretty Pareto-ish. I don't immediately have access to curve-fitting software to refine further.

(Methodology: take the mid-point of each band as the assumed value of all bikes in the band. Divide the number of responses in each band by the width of the band; the result is an approximate empirical PDF)

Davidc

Guru
I've put 1k+ as the Dawes would cost that much to replace with new.

It wasn't new when I got it, and if it had to be replaced I'd buy good secondhand again so the most I'd expect to pay would be about £400.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The Cube cost me 773 online, with a hefty discount. Suspect getting one in a shop would be well over a grand (Ultegra & 105 mix).

The Millook cost me 900 online, again with discount. Current price is typically about 1200 (only avail online).

Seriously downgrading here.

Just replaced my Campagnolo Record Carbon shifters with a £15 pair of Chorus Ergo's - not quite as crisp but they get me from A to B. Also replaced the 11spd Record Carbon chainset with a £40 new Veloce UT's. With a cheapo pair of Keo Carbons and s/h Zonda's I think the bike comes in under £350.

When I've finished downgrading a spot of upgrading will probably be called for...

Bigsharn

Veteran
I wouldn't go out and buy my Galaxy new I'd just replace it with a second hand one (or another 531 framed bike) but it's around £1200 for a new one :tongue:

Top Bottom