What is your memory like for faces?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm awful at putting name's to face's.
It seems to get worse by the year.
People will say hello, to which i will know the face, but can't remember where they are from or their name. To save total embarrassment, i will talk happily away trying to get subtle clues without causing suspicion to them as to who they are. This trick used to work quite well but as the years have progressed its getting harder, to the point i either embarrass my self or appear ignorant. God im only 50 and goodness knows what I'll be like in 20 years time if I'm still around.
The amount of people i must walk past in the street unknowingly recognising them from years gone by must be rife. They must think I'm really ignorant, (which I'm not)
Mrs S walks past people too without seeing them, it is only me who says " that was so and so " to which she`d reply " I did`nt see them. I think sometimes it`s because we are preoccupied with our thoughts that we don`t see things. The same goes with drivers !

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I went swimming regularly at one time but had no car. Waiting at the bus stop a woman came and stood beside me for a while and then said “ sorry I did not say hello I didn’t recognise you with your clothes on”. The rest of the queue had mixed reactions.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went swimming regularly at one time but had no car. Waiting at the bus stop a woman came and stood beside me for a while and then said “ sorry I did not say hello I didn’t recognise you with your clothes on”. The rest of the queue had mixed reactions.
I said exactly the same thing to @busdennis in front of his wife. I had ridden with him prior to that and he had even given me a lift to one ride, but despite that I didn't recognise him when he walked up to me near a stage finish of the Tour de Yorkshire at Scarborough! :blush:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's a woman i see in the gym quite often. I'm almost 99 percent sure she's the one i had my first ever kiss with,on Christmas Eve 1976. I might ask her,but she might think 'who's the creepy fecking weirdo',if i mention it?! Maybe it's best to just keep it to the occasional hello.:unsure:

johnnyb47

Guru
Seriously though have you ever spoken to someone in the street you haven't seen for years and then realise there suffering from dementia. I've done this twice now and it comes as a shock and is very sad to see. The first time i spotted an elderly chap who i knew really well many years back in the past, walking in the middle of nowhere whilst driving my car. I stopped to say hello and to offer him a lift home. Straight from the offset i twigged he was suffering with dementia or memory loss. He was very suspicious of me even as i spoke to him on the old basis of how i knew him. He declined a lift as he didn't know me and didn't trust me. Reluctantly i ended up driving off and went to his sons house and explained the situation to he was very grateful and went out to collect him.
Another time was when i spotted an old workmate that i hadn't seen for years. I walked over to say hello to him in the local village, and he just looked at me vacantly whilst i wittered on. I could see in his eyes he was desperately trying to recall me and was just agreeing with everything i said trying to mask this awful debilitating disease. It was so sad to see someone you used to laugh and joke with at work and down the local pub reduced to this.
Through conversation i smoothed my way through it and off he went, but felt really sad watching him going on his way home

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Absolutely useless. If I see someone out of the normal setting, e.g someone I work with outside of work I really struggle. I once saw our lass walking down the street as she was on her dinner break and I was walking to the bike shop, I nearly went straight by her and we'd been married 20 odd years!

OldShep

Über Member
mrs Shep is absolutely useless at rememberIng faces let alone a name to go with it. I find it annoying and have difficulty understanding why people can’t.
when I worked I not only had to remember faces of people but sheep and cows faces too. If you sold a pen of sheep to someone three years ago you’d not only to remember their name but the pen of sheep and how much they sold for. No phones with address books I could also recite the telephone number of at least six auction marts and a few hauliers as well as family and neighbours. Mrs Shep has had a mobile for 10 yrs now and still can’t remember her number.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
^^^^^:sad:^^^^^
Indeed!

Each of my parents had a miserable final year and I am determined not to go through that same long pitiful process. I have already told everyone that cares about me that if I am suffering and have no hope of recovery then I am going to put a stop to it, or get someone else to even if that means shipping me off to somewhere with a more enlightened attitude towards assisted dying.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I met someone at my dad's funeral. The man was talking to me as if he were a long-lost friend of mine but I didn't have a clue who he was. I was 47 years old then and he turned out to be a mate that I had seen pretty much 2 or 3 times a week from the age of 11 to my early 20s!

Yeah but some don’t age well and the features you would pick up on are changed beyond recognition.

Top Bottom