What is your rescue remedy for cycle breakdowns miles from home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tthere are videos out there where people use toe straps or reusable cable ties to hold the bead at the bottom in the well while they seat the top of the bead.
Yes, can't link to at the mo due to oddities of current internet connection. Suggest folks throw "how to fit a marathon plus tyre" into youtube and find the revered colin bearded one. I always carry boot laces after seeing that vid to achieve the same thing.

Last edited:
Yes, can't link to at the mo due to oddities of current internet connection. Suggest folks throw "how to fit a marathon plus tyre" into youtube and find the revered colin bearded one. I always carry boot laces after seeing that vid to achieve the same thing.
This one?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Saved my bacon (and my sanity) with a set of 24" marathons once, that did...

Yes.
That one.
Thanks.
Saved my sanity and previously bleeding thumbs on a 20 inch tyre. And others.
That god also built the wheels for a bike that, although bought new, would these days be dismissed by some on here as a skipdiver special.

Wheels and bike roll like a dream.

Thanks again for posting link. Recommend everyone watches it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What is your rescue remedy for cycle breakdowns miles from home?
Helping on the Mille Pennines (1000) last weekend, one rider who was going OK at about 650k pulled at his rear pocket, a buff fell out (he'd left in the relative cool of 5am on Day 3 (Sunday), heading from Sedbergh to Robin Hood's Bay). Said buff fell into return run of chain, wrapped into rear mech and ripped it off, breaking a spoke along the way. He tried to single speed it (breaking chain to the selected chain ring / sprocket) but in doing so the chain tried to climb onto the next larger sprocket and jammed completely, to the extent that he could not remove the through axle. Deep in Wensleydale he chose to get a a taxi back the 50k to Sedbergh. I did not ask the cost. The following day he got a lift back to a station. In conversation he'd had 'get ETA recovery plan' on his list of things to do but had 'run out of time' - "please don't tell the better half".
The ETA 'rescue' would have taken him to Richmond to the bike shop there, or to a station (inconveniently east coast line - Northallerton), or back to Sedbergh.

byegad

Legendary Member
Being a recumbent trike rider (No catching a bus or taking a taxi with them!).
I pay the ETA a modest sum each Yr to recover me and the trike in extremis. I once cracked a seat on the Kettwiesel and luckily Lady Byegad could bring my car, it wouldn't go into hers, and we squeezed it, me and her into the car to get home. I was an ETA member at the time so could have used them but I was only 8 miles from home and it preserved my no claims. Sadly after Lady Byegad's brain abscess she can't drive at the moment, and possibly never will again, so the ETA is a Good Choice.

Drago

Legendary Member
If I get a puncture i wait until some chick in a sporty car hoves into view then I flash a bit of knee.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Hide bike in a hedge and call a taxi.

I have always managed to fix stuff on the road, except when I was about 11 and literally ripped a huge flap out of the tread of my rear tyre while avoiding a bunch of errant chickens. It must have been a really bad tyre.

bruce1530

Guru
You tell the taxi firm you wish to transport a bicycle and ask them if they can supply a vehicle capable of doing this.
Many taxi firms will have a sufficiently varied fleet (or be able to call on other drivers) to accommodate things like wheelchairs and prams. A bike shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Top Bottom