What is your rescue remedy for cycle breakdowns miles from home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
On the one occasion I had a non repairable puncture I pulled the tube out and stuffed the tyre full of grass. It got me home.

Wow. Very ingenious; I like that.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I wonder if there's a case to be made for setting up a national network of cycle recovery 'friends'? Folks who, if available, might be able to answer calls from fellow cyclists in need. Similar to Air BnB/Warmshowers, but more like the AA/RAC?
Less useful if you're on a day ride maybe, but whilst away on a tour ...

Cymro74

In the 80s as a teenager this never occurred to me when living in North Wales. This was partly because there was never plan B anyway as there were no trains or towns etc to rely on. My falcon tourer felt bullet proof, and even when I had punctures I could keep pumping the tyre till I got home. Not sure if I was lucky or whether bikes were stronger.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
On the one occasion I had a non repairable puncture I pulled the tube out and stuffed the tyre full of grass. It got me home.
I did that as well, luckily, the verge had just been mown, and I was able to stuff a great deal of grass or weeds into my tire. Finely milled by the time I got home.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Most of my rides are within a rural area (mainly farmland) with zero public transport. I take the usual small tools and I'm confident I can fix most things by the side of the road. I always carry a decent lock as well. If the worst happens, I'll find a field gate, hide the bike somewhere and lock it securely. Then hitch or walk and come back in the car.

One bit of advice I had from a long-distance guy - if you ever anticipate the possibility of a long walk with the bike, take a pedal spanner with you and remove the nearside pedal. Makes a long walk with the bike MUCH easier.

Top Bottom