What item of clothing do you have which is a conversation starter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a lime green 3/4 length coat with funky metal clips instead of buttons - it's very bright and dead smart too. You can see it from a mile off and everyone knows its me because no-one has one like it. So lots of people make comments ranging from 'that colour looks great on you' to 'oh my god i need sunglasses'.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My Sunderland shirts. Get lots of comments whenever I wear one. From the inevitable "Who are you?" to "Why don't you support a better team?" and "Well someone has to".
The locals all support Leicester City.
NUFF SAID.
I've been a supporter since mid 70's when I lived up there.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
How about items other people were wearing which create in you an inner dialogue?

It was warm here this morning when I left home about 8am, approaching 20 deg C I'd guess, and I saw a cyclist with long cycling tights (they looked 'winter-weight' to me), a zipped up top, waterproof on top, what looked like a fleece-lined buff, and one of those winter skull-cap things under his cycling helmet! :biggrin:
I was in shorts and s/sl top.

I had to ask myself 'wtf'? :tongue::smile:

[edit... he had winter gloves on too]. Most odd

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Two T-shirts:
One says: "Inside every car is a perfect Cyclist" from People Tree, with a clever graphic - a VW beetle shaped outline, filled in to look like a maze, with a path traced out in red that is of a stick cyclist. Saw someone else in my local supermarket wearing exactly the same T-shirt. So much so, I had to run home and check mine was still in the drawer. Cyclists love it. Non-cyclists ignore it.

Another is from Howies - one monkey pointing at one innocent looking pigeon. Monkey says "if you chop down another one of my trees, he will sh*t on one of your cars". Caused a stir at the RSPB hut after watching the red kite feeding near Aberystwyth on Friday.

MacB said:
are they any good?
Only had them a couple of weeks and not actually worn them much as yet - I've either been in spd sandals or barefoot, but I do like them. The ones I posted a picture of, Classics, are regarded as the flip-flop of the range.

There is a forum for them here, mostly positive as you would expect and Noodly of this parish started a thread on them awhile back.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My ancient Aero-leather jacket...anytime someone takes it from me, in a cloakroom or whatever, they always comment on how heavy it is.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
A lot of my clothes cause conversation. The latest thing is the Japanese monastic-style work jacket (or samue) my wonderful wife made for me - it's made with an indigo light canvas fabric printed with old Japanese beer labels, and it has an orange lining.

BTW, this is a samue - though not mine:

samue-hemp-navy.jpg

I've noticed when I'm wearing my blue London to Canterbury Sportive kit in London (as seen on the Bognor FNRttC), I do get a number of people pointing at me, or even cheering. I think it's down to the Union Jack on the sleeves.
They must think I'm part of some GB team. :ohmy: :smile:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Flying Dodo said:
I've noticed when I'm wearing my blue London to Canterbury Sportive kit in London (as seen on the Bognor FNRttC), I do get a number of people pointing at me, or even cheering. I think it's down to the Union Jack on the sleeves.
They must think I'm part of some GB team. :ohmy: :biggrin:

We must've all been wearing something special on the York/Cleethorpes FNRttC too because I'm sure I heard some guy shout "you sad bunch of c***s" to cheer us on. :smile:

Top Bottom