What kind of bike would you need for tow path riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dansenior

Hi, ive got a touring bike with 32c tyres, and mudguards, and wanting to know if theres a reason for not riding on tow paths, would i be liable to get many chip marks from flying stones, or punctures, the tyres are only michelin world tour, i know i should take a spare innertube and possibly even spare tyre.

Will the bike hold up well enough on the tow path or would it cause excessive wear and tear, its a steel frame reynolds 531.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Flippin' 'eck. I used to ride towpaths on ancient bikes made out of old scaffold tube and with 27 x 1/4 tyres. You are riding a Rolls Royce in comparison.

My current tourer is Reynolds 631 and on 32's. I would have no hesitation using it on towpaths.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd use it without hesitation.
531 frames are pretty tough, and 32mm tyres should cope fine. If you're off on a long tour, I'd fit new tyres before you set off. Maybe something a bit better than world tour, which are a bit cheap and cheerful.

RedBike

It all depends on the state of the path(s) in question.
The bikes ideal provided the paths are in reasonable condition. If the paths muddy then you might need to make a few modifications

Fitting a set of aggresively tread cyclo-x tyres and moving your mud-guards as far as possilble away from the wheels as possible (or removing them) to prevent them clogging with mud.

MarkF

Guru
I ride towpaths every day on a Dawes Discovery 501 but "towpath" can mean many things. Mine consists of mud, undulating tarmac, severe grass slopes, packed earth and flint-like, sharp, teeth rattling sections. The latter were (I think) to blame for a run of punctures, I use marathon plus's now and would not ride this towpath with standard tyres again.

I recently sold a Horizon 531 tourer, a lovely bike that coped just as well as the Discovery, that had 32's, but again, they were marathon plus's.;)

JackE

Über Member
Mark just beat me to it although I was going to suggest "standard" Marathon's. I ride frequently on our local, fairly rough towpath and have never had a puncture.

Well it depends, if your going to limit yourself to tow paths or if you may grow to enjoy and branch out. I would say get a Hybrid, fast on the road if needed but also capable of some of the rough stuff.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
dansenior said:
Hi, ive got a touring bike with 32c tyres, and mudguards, and wanting to know if theres a reason for not riding on tow paths, would i be liable to get many chip marks from flying stones, or punctures, the tyres are only michelin world tour, i know i should take a spare innertube and possibly even spare tyre.

Will the bike hold up well enough on the tow path or would it cause excessive wear and tear, its a steel frame reynolds 531.

Can't see why it would be a problem, I have managed perfectly well on 25mm Conti GatorSkins, just make sure that your tyres are well pumped up...

Top Bottom