What kind of MUSIC do you hate...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it has to be a single genre then it's jazz, obviously. Or German 'leide', which is just the most god-awful po-faced classical noise. Or any kind of Mojo approved guitar-hero drivel which causes grown men with beards to waffle endless bilge about 'feel' and 'emotion' while some hairy arsed banjo stroker pulls faces like he's buggering a particularly cute sheep and thoroughly enjoying the experience. My rule of thumb is that if Foghat likes it, it's probably crap.

Having said that, most genres have a nugget of good stuff glistening amongst the poo.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Oh, I didn't remember Donovan supporting. I used to like one of his early albums which my sister was always playing in the late 60s.

Yeah, there was a lot of punk shite but at least it was exciting. Most of the stuff that I was listening to in the mid-70s seemed to have been about playing the maximum number of notes per second in obscure time signatures. I just got bored of watching musicians showing off how clever they thought they were. "Less is more" was more appealing than "Even more than that is more"! :smile:

You're right there. I suppose you could say I saw the light too not long after you, but my taste went off in a krautrock direction. Mind you, I still have a bit of time for Yes, some of it is good stuff. I never really got on with punk at all.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Can't bear rap/hip hop music. I find myself in the strange situation sometimes of having to write marketing info about a new rap/hip-hop artist, saying how wonderful they/their new album is (I work for a record company), when I can't bear to even listen to it!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
These days I'm fairly tolerant of most musical forms, though some are preferred in smallish doses. I'm getting further away from saying what's good and what's bad music, there's a big old spectrum out there and all genres have parts that people will find more likable than others. I'm not big on Rap or Techno, but there's bound to be gems in there, lot's of opera can leave me cold, but others are great. I wouldn't say that I'm a C&W fan, but find myself in the pleasant company of Whispering Bob Harris on R2 often and enjoying the stuff he plays. Same with Mike Harding and Folk as well as other roots music. Jazz is detested by many and I'm surprised not to see more condemnation of it here frankly. I've spent an hour tonight getting my head, breath and fingers round Duke Ellington and Dizzie Gilispie on the Sax tonight, A'int Misbehavin' how joyous is that?
Brahms... ever sung "How lovely is thy dwelling place"? Beautiful.
Actually, I detest Girls Aloud... but have to admit that "The Promise" is a great bit of Pop... I just wish somebody else had recorded it!
Music's a broad church of choice and pleasures... be thankful for all of it!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ComedyPilot said:
POP music.

Insipid and vile crap hawked to clueless teenage girls by unscrupulous record companies.
Bollocks.
Pop's good fun, much is well crafted and well performed. Nothing wrong with music for kids either. Busted were ace.

Fab Foodie said:
Bollocks.
Pop's good fun, much is well crafted and well performed. Nothing wrong with music for kids either. Busted were ace 'kin sh*te.
Fixed. :wacko:

ComedyPilot said:
Like sheep they listen to whatever the teenage girls tell them to, in the faint hope they might get a feel of pubescent breast in the girl's S Club 7 poster-bedecked boudoir.

I think.:wacko:
Heh, I thought you were a bit older actually CP. :biggrin:

Dear god, I remember my first GF playing me some Modern Talking. I liked it. And I do believe that I did....:evil:;):biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
Fab Foodie said:
[i'm]... not big on Rap or Techno, but there's bound to be gems in there

Right. A Nation of millions and the disposables/spearhead are fantastic musically, politically and culturally. The Rave/house thing changed a generation and enabled new labour and promoted the internet through devolved networks.

Top Bottom