What law?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

I am interested in pop-law and new to cycling. Having scoured the forums as best as I am able to... I often see folk talk about the law relating to cycling, e.g. amber refelctor law. I wonder if this is a statute they are referring to, or some woolly guideline? Does anybody have a link to the cycle laws of England and Wales that refers to things like lighting, tyre tread, helmet use or similar?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

T.M.H.N.E.T

That web site says this about
Pedal Reflectors
Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.

BUT SPD pedals don't have amber reflectors fitted?
It's archaic law that just hasn't been removed or updated. Most of the folk I ride at night with(including a PSNI officer or two) have enough light front and rear that a reflector simply wouldn't be seen or make a difference.

I'm sure it was different in the days of dynamo hubs and 2DD battery lights that were candles compared to the LED's of today.

young Ed

Veteran
Pedal Reflectors
Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.

but SPD pedals are for MTB so of course road laws don't apply in the woods and of course no one would dream of using them on the road would they? :tongue:
although the road SPD-SL are meant for the road but don't have reflectors. it is probably another case of not illegal to sell or buy as you could just own a pair to have them sitting on your mantle piece as a shrine! or on an indoor static bike etc etc but it is illegal to then use them on the road

although lets face it you aren't going to get done for no reflectors on your pedals or no bell or no reflectors on your bike! it is really jut for your own safety so a bit of visible (preferably reflective) clothing and some lights (especially if riding during the night or dawn/dusk) is a good idea anyway
Cheers Ed

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Pedal Reflectors

Mine do.

On the bike I use for night riding I have PD-T-400s

Oddly enough, that bike is old enough to be exempt from the requirement for pedal reflectors.

T.M.H.N.E.T

t you aren't going to get done for no reflectors on your pedals or no bell or no reflectors on your bike! it is really jut for your own safety so a bit of visible (preferably reflective) clothing and some lights (especially if riding during the night or dawn/dusk) is a good idea anyway
Cheers Ed
That's good as it isn't a legal requirement to have one :smile:

BigCoops

IMHO (and only my opinion) pedal reflectors are negated by decent front/rear lights and a percentage of reflective material worn when cycling in low light conditions, I'd also recommend something which improves side on visibility.

Personally, on my commuting bike I have a few of the 3M straw like spoke reflectors, they cost next to nothing and don't make any difference to how the wheels run.

Clean, charged and not obscured by anything is the way to go :smile:

spen666

Legendary Member
I am interested in pop-law and new to cycling. Having scoured the forums as best as I am able to... I often see folk talk about the law relating to cycling, e.g. amber refelctor law. I wonder if this is a statute they are referring to, or some woolly guideline? Does anybody have a link to the cycle laws of England and Wales that refers to things like lighting, tyre tread, helmet use or similar?

What is pop-law and what is its link to cycling?

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
The book Cyclecraft speaks highly of pedal reflectors. "Pedal reflectors are one of the most effective safety aids for cyclists at night"
I'm sure most on here will agree that the police are unlikely to stop you for not having pedal reflectors, however if you are involved in an accident, the other party may claim that they did not see you because you had no pedal reflectors.

Top Bottom