What lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I like the look of the fibre flares - but the news about the lack of waterproofness is a no-no for me.

On a slightly different topic, any recommendations for a "to be seen by" light for the road bike? I was given a Knog Frog and while I like the way it discreetly fits onto the bars without cluttering them up, when I had to cycle home at dusk last night, I can't say I had much confidence in it. Luckily I was off the lanes by that point so never had to put it to the test but it got me hoping there's a better alternative out there - just as discreet but more powerful... Any thoughts?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I like the look of the fibre flares - but the news about the lack of waterproofness is a no-no for me.

On a slightly different topic, any recommendations for a "to be seen by" light for the road bike? I was given a Knog Frog and while I like the way it discreetly fits onto the bars without cluttering them up, when I had to cycle home at dusk last night, I can't say I had much confidence in it. Luckily I was off the lanes by that point so never had to put it to the test but it got me hoping there's a better alternative out there - just as discreet but more powerful... Any thoughts?
Lezyne Femto? or the slightly larger rechargeable micro drive? The former is nice neat and only slightly flawed (no side visibility)

BSRU

A Human Being
so did anyone buy those torches from Torchyboy on the bay??
I bought one of his 3000 lumens lights, used it this morning when on an unlit country lane, it's like a car main beam, lit the road ahead for over two hundred metres. Obviously when ever another road user approached it was turned off.

Crankarm

Guru
That max D is more than my bike cost!!! :eek:

If you want decent kit and a proper bike it is going to cost you some £££££. If you buy a £75 bike from the Daily Express or bicycle lights from Wilkinson's don't be surprised if they fall apart after 3 weeks.

IME the only thing cheap lights are good for is being a nuisance as they are simply woeful at lighting where you want to go or down right dangerous as their owners switch them to flashing mode which on a dark night if you are another road user approaching them causes dazzling and they are very difficult to judge how far away the bicycle is and the speed at which they are travelling toward you whether you are another cyclist or driving. Flashing front lights should be banned.

Crankarm

Guru
I bought one of his 3000 lumens lights, used it this morning when on an unlit country lane, it's like a car main beam, lit the road ahead for over two hundred metres. Obviously when ever another road user approached it was turned off.

I very much doubt this light actually gave out 3000 Lumens. The current Exposure Max D Six Pack gives out a genuine 2000 Lumens and this is phenominally bright. The Max D Mk 5 gives 1600 Lumens and this is extremely bright. I would expect similar such lights from Lupine, Hope, etc to be very bright but not some cheapo on Ebay which is more likely to overheat and catch fire.

BSRU

A Human Being
I very much doubt this light actually gave out 3000 Lumens. The current Exposure Max D Six Pack gives out a genuine 2000 Lumens and this is phenominally bright. The Max D Mk 5 gives 1600 Lumens and this is extremely bright.
It might not be 3000 but it is close. It is brighter than my cars, after market, halogen headlight on main beam(which is 2100 lumen), lighting the road ahead for at least a couple of hundred of metres and it seems well made. Will see how it survives a British winter.

Lupine, Hope, etc to be very bright but not some cheapo on Ebay which is more likely to overheat and catch fire.
The same has been written about Magicshine when it first appeared but mine are still going strong after two years, people have even written the same about the Magicshine clones but a couple of mine is over a year old, all my lights are ridden in all weathers. The "cheapo on Ebay" lights tend to be abit hit and miss as regards to quality that is why I bought from an established dealer like Torchy Boy, who seems to have good knowledge of what he is selling.

D

Deleted member 22722

Up until now i've been making do with a Lezyne Micro LED light on the front which I thought was plenty bright enough for my needs. However, I started reading this post a couple of days ago when we had some heavy fog and realised I probably need a second front light.

I've been looking around since then for a second light when someone on here mentioned they had an LED Lenser P7 torch. I too have one of those which I rarely use so have just ordered a bike mount for it. It's pretty bright so should do the trick. It's only splashproof and not waterproof though. I'm just hoping it lasts through the rain. Any suggestions on how I can make it at least a little bit more waterproof?

I've only got a cheap cateye on the rear, however i've just taken out a subscription to Cycling plus last month and their freebie for subscribing was a rear Lezyne Micro so will bung that on the bike when it turns up.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not strictly on topic but i found it amusing, about to come home this morning and people in the bike shed at work know i run a magicshine and my route when another commuter on a hardtail that has never seen any offroad or unlit streets shines a light straight in my eyes and boasts he has a 1600 lumen light that looks like a xml t6 powered by the standard 4 x18650 batteries and a google says that they come out at a max of 1000 unmodded .
Still bright but i pity the fool :smile:
Cree list the max power at 1040 at a max of 10 watts .

Reactions: gaz

Jdratcliffe

use leyzne power drive x 2 on the front on solid with a exposure flash flashing the i have a flare on pulse and two cat eye rapid 3's on the random mode ( very bright)

ill stick by this set up 3 rear and 3 fronts all for the price of one of those IMHO huge ugly front lights you can get on full power ( 3000 suposed lums ) i get just under 2 hours run time which is perfect as my commute averages 1 hr 30mins ! hat the extra battery packs and cabling you have to go thou for some of the lights suggested here only thing i would say is i will have to invest in longer lasting "seeing lights" if i wanted to do some night rides or long sportives.

Top Bottom