What Low Level Risks Should be Considered Whilst Cycling - Advice for Others Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
You don't need to be on a bike to have encounters with squirrels. I surprised one at work the other day, as I walked up a short flight of concrete steps to an open external door. A sand-filled fire bucket was being used as a doorstop and the squirrel was sitting in the bucket on the sand. Suddenly it launched itself up in the air and landed on my shoulder, pausing for a moment before running down my back and scurrying away. It's bushy tail was twitching inches away from my face, so I hope it wasn't carrying any fleas! :eek:
Slightly OT but with this in mind....
I called out to my wife one day...
'here, there's a squirrel climbing up Emmas wall, its half way up the house'
As i watched it climb vertically between two of her windows, her daughter (maybe 8) looked out the window (brilliant timing) to come face to face with this squirrel inches away as it was looking in the window.
The blood curding scream could be heard all the way up the street :rofl:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yikes! I had a hare do that to me once - ran perhaps 6 feet ahead of me at about 30 mph, over what seemed like quite a long way at the time...

That happened to me on the road by Nant y Moch reservoir near Aberystwyth if anyone knows the area. I must have chased the hare for about two miles till he ran off into the hedge. I guess as he could run fast he was used to out-running potential threats rather than ducking and diving like most prey animals. I probably should have stopped but honestly didn't think he'd just run straight downthe road

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
On Friday Night Rides drunks are a significant problem. Riders have had chips thrown at them, and drunk lads love running out into the road to push riders off their bikes. I've twice been subject to this but have managed to avoid them, but I have seen a rider brought down by a drunk. That's just in my experience, I'm sure there are other war stories.

Last week's FNRttC was very unusual in that the drunks were all good natured, probably due to lockdown ending.
Wow... I grew up in NYC in my teens and 20’s where I would expect to see such things happen, but never did. What some people do for fun! That could really pi$$ someone off, especially if your bike got damaged. Oh yeah, or getting hurt. :biggrin:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Slightly OT but with this in mind....
I called out to my wife one day...
'here, there's a squirrel climbing up Emmas wall, its half way up the house'
As i watched it climb vertically between two of her windows, her daughter (maybe 8) looked out the window (brilliant timing) to come face to face with this squirrel inches away as it was looking in the window.
The blood curding scream could be heard all the way up the street :rofl:

Did the squirrel recover after it screamed?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
On Friday Night Rides drunks are a significant problem. Riders have had chips thrown at them, and drunk lads love running out into the road to push riders off their bikes. I've twice been subject to this but have managed to avoid them, but I have seen a rider brought down by a drunk. That's just in my experience, I'm sure there are other war stories.

Last week's FNRttC was very unusual in that the drunks were all good natured, probably due to lockdown ending.
For some reason, the pissheads in the Medway towns seem to be unusually stroppy.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Discovering an unexpected hill.
Cassel is in the very flat bit of France, near the Belgian border and the coast. It's on top of the only hill for aaaaages in any direction. 176m doesn't sound all that high, but you climb it from just-about sea level. It has a fair few restaurants and bars :cheers:
cassel.jpg

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Young ladies in Mini Skirts.

Back in the sixties I was riding along Linthorpe Road in Middlesbrough, ( very busy shopping area in those days) when I spotted my first ever mini skirt 😲. I was so surprised to see what I saw .......................... that my bike sort of started to wobble and I finished up in a heap in the middle of the road. It was quite embarrassing really.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Discovering an unexpected hill.
Cassel is in the very flat bit of France, near the Belgian border and the coast. It's on top of the only hill for aaaaages in any direction. 176m doesn't sound all that high, but you climb it from just-about sea level. It has a fair few restaurants and bars :cheers:
View attachment 600622

Must have taken ages stopping at the restaurants and bars on the way up.

Top Bottom