What Low Level Risks Should be Considered Whilst Cycling - Advice for Others Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Being pulled from your bike by an overly aggressive Himalayan Balsam plant.

Once riding a local cycle path I slowly descended on the short incline which ends as a literal 90⁰ right hander. Knowing the left hand side of the path would be wet and mossy I was careful to keep to the centre of the path while turning.

As I exited the turn the highly dangerous Himalayan Balsam leapt from the hedgerow assaulting me by wrapping itself in the crook of my right elbow. Wary of tackling such an aggressive plant I continued to ride away only to be pulled backwards and off my bike.

After I had recovered my dignity, and my buddies had finished laughing, I sneaked up while it's back was turned, pulled it from the ground to wither and die.

Last edited:
off topic - but many many years ago I used to walk my dog along a path next to a golf course

I often saw balls sail ove my head and land on the beach - I normally went down and gave it back to them

one day a ball actually hit me from behind - by the time I realised what it was it had hit the concrete path and was about 20 foot up - it ended up bouncing down to the beach
2 golfers appeared and asked me (I was still confused) if I had seen a golf ball - I said 'yes - it hit me' - it's down there

cheeky gets asked me to go and get it

so I went and got it

came back up and told them I was confiscated it for their lack of curtsey when they knew it had hit me - they never asked is I was OK

funny I became a teacher some years later

Drago

Legendary Member
Abduction by aliens for sex experiments.

Sound far fetched? Naturally, curious aliens would seek only the fittest, and the sight of me bulging in my lycra is too much for a hot blooded alien to resist. The risk is very real.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Severely bitten lip.
Several years ago I was out for a ride in the countryside on a lovely sunny May afternoon. A young woman pedestrian was walking towards me with a very small young dog on a lead. As I approached she smiled at me and bent down to hold the dog. I was about to say 'nice puppy' but couldn't help noticing that she appeared to be suffering a wardrobe malfunction due to the very loose tee shirt she was almost wearing. To avoid an inadvertent use of the plural and consequential 'misunderstandings' I thought it best to just smile back and bite my lip.
I had to bite it so hard I drew blood.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Being shot blasted by the gritting lorry.
I was gritted twice, this evening.

Deer and owls seem to be my thing, on rides. Owls are quite soft as they whizz silently past, really close, and a wingtip goes across your nose. Deer are thick, wait until you are right by them, then leap out in front of you. Possibly in league with squirrels.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Abduction by aliens for sex experiments.

Sound far fetched? Naturally, curious aliens would seek only the fittest, and the sight of me bulging in my lycra is too much for a hot blooded alien to resist. The risk is very real.
I think the Aliens may be looking for active examples of what is meant by the term "Turtles Head"...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Wet paint on a car park hand rail in central Manchester - I was pushing the bike back to the car after a ride.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was gritted twice, this evening.

Deer and owls seem to be my thing, on rides. Owls are quite soft as they whizz silently past, really close, and a wingtip goes across your nose. Deer are thick, wait until you are right by them, then leap out in front of you. Possibly in league with squirrels.
I know of 2 guys who wrote off bikes hitting the same deer at the same time as they were racing on the way to work. In a car they are a menace it night particularly in winter.

Top Bottom