What Low Level Risks Should be Considered Whilst Cycling - Advice for Others Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Did you know that seagulls are not a sea bird? I don't know how I know that.

True, but (despite popular belief) I don't live near a tip either :laugh:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Low level risks I have encountered.

Discovering the pub had half-price beer. Mitigation - drink ALL THE BEER to prevent drunken cyclists colliding with me.
Feeling tired and afraid at top of significant incline. Mitigation - Kir, three courses and wine before descending Col de la Colombiere.
Falling into ford. Mitigation - carry someone else's mobile. They will rush to help you (once they've stopped laughing).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Wasp stuck in helmet was nasty. I flung the helmet into a hedge but the wasp got a decent sting in first.

A spare seat binder bolt is worth carrying, especially if your bike takes one of the Campag non-keyed ones. They are notorious for snapping without warning. Riding home while standing all the way is no fun.

Squirrels 🐿 trying to take you out when cycling near trees. Always have nuts ready to throw to the side to divert the crafty buggers.
Just read this:

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/how-to-improve-bike-handling/50763/19?u=hlab :laugh:

I’ve been doing all my TR workouts on Elite quick motion rollers since ~November (not my first use of rollers, but first time I’ve used them consistently for anything other than recovery spins). Saturday I hit a squirrel at ~19 mph. It flipped the squirrel into the air, sommersaulting like some kind of furry Cirque de Soleil act. It briefly bounced off my crotch then hit my left shin (I had unclipped by this point), and I managed to swing my leg and flick him away. I stayed upright during all this, despite the “speedbump” effect of hitting the hairy little rat, and the ensuing panic that he was going to bite my privates. I credit the roller training to keeping me upright. I highly endorse rollers if you have any plans of running over wildlife

Trickedem

Guru
A herd of deer ran between me and another rider on a fast descent in Ashdown Forest.
I was attacked by those nasty Australian magpies when I rode in the country side outside Perth.
A few bee/wasp stings along the way. Luckily I don't react too badly to these.
I could have avoided falling off, by not picking blackberries whilst clipped in.

May be relevant in some places
but my Dad always warned me to avoid tram tracks
apparently - and in the 1930's/40's if you rode over tram tracks at the wrong angle the tyre would pop through the track and drag the rim with it
the only solution was to ride to the depot - where they would be experienced in getting bikes out

exactly what you do if a tram comes up behind you was unclear - partly because these stories often came up in a pub when I was mid twenties and there were a lot of stories he had to share when my Mum was not around (air show at RAF Fairford - where he was based for a while in the war - wish we could have had more time)

personally - low level hazards - small dogs with little legs
nearly had one chipped in the spokes over the summer - seemed to be trying to attack the tyre
only saved by the owned having it on an an extending lead which he pulled back
damn close

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm with Ming, squirrels. Not convinced they don't work together and celebrate if they down a cyclist.

You don't need to be on a bike to have encounters with squirrels. I surprised one at work the other day, as I walked up a short flight of concrete steps to an open external door. A sand-filled fire bucket was being used as a doorstop and the squirrel was sitting in the bucket on the sand. Suddenly it launched itself up in the air and landed on my shoulder, pausing for a moment before running down my back and scurrying away. It's bushy tail was twitching inches away from my face, so I hope it wasn't carrying any fleas! :eek:

Top Bottom