What Low Level Risks Should be Considered Whilst Cycling - Advice for Others Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Abduction by devious hitch-hiker.
(once in the '80s, when I had a BMX)
1610551887664.png

Mitigation: don't give lifts to odd-looking children

PK99

Legendary Member
Lots of discussion on the forum of risks of mechanical breakdown and spreading deadly viruses.

But what other infrequent risks should we consider whilst cycling? Please list your notable experiences and one piece of advice to others on how to avoid or mitigate please.

For me:

1: Lost lunch on steep and bumpy descent

Before or after eating it?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I got stung in the mouth this summer. I pulled the stinger out and I think it was a bee. As far as I can remember it's the first time I've ever been stung. Fortunately it did not reveal a previously unknown allergy - but it swellled up like billy-o

I've added some antihistamine tablets to my toolkit as a future mitigation.

Or wear a mask, hang on...

Beware low flying aircraft - especially big ones

There is an airport near me which is one one of my normal rides - to get there I use a narrow country road that goes directly along the flight path - right up to the perimeter fence
When a 737 or Airbus come up behind you first time it is REALLY scary

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As a youth I went to pump my tyres on my Chopper up. Front went bang. Silly plan have always had pump since.

PK99

Legendary Member
Beware low flying aircraft - especially big ones

There is an airport near me which is one one of my normal rides - to get there I use a narrow country road that goes directly along the flight path - right up to the perimeter fence
When a 737 or Airbus come up behind you first time it is REALLY scary

A bit like this route at Heathrow.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 160232.png

Top Bottom