What magic liquid did my mechanic use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhkuo

I used to get creaking noise from my headset, it was caused by friction between the steerer cover and steerer tube. When I brought my bike to my local mechanic for some other unrelated problems, while reassembling the headset, he put some liquid (from a metal bottle, not grease, oil). I didn't think much of it at the time, but to my pleasant surprise, the noise had gone away, until the heavy rain a few days ago. :-(

I have been wondering what it was, it wasn't WD40, because I applied some and it didn't do any good. I will ask him what he used when I see him next. Would anyone here know what bike maintenance related substance would fit the description in the meantime?

RedBike

WD40 is great at penertrating stuck parts and freeing them up but it should be kept well away from anything (like headsets) that are packed with grease. It will remove the grease leaving the part vunerable to the elements.

By the sounds of it the magic liquid was just a thin grease.

OP
OP
jhkuo

jhkuo

Thanks for your inputs, by the way, I remember the colour of the excess liquid that came out of the steerer cover was blue. Also it was soluble in water as it was washed away by rain. Was silicone liquid soluble?
Bit of silicone spray/liquid ?

Fiona N

Veteran
That sounds like anti-seize solution - I suppose that's also a reducer of friction. I can't remember the name of the stuff - like you say it comes in a small metal can - it's available at any hardware store. But, being water-soluble , does mean you'll be applying it very regularly.

Crepello

It could have been teflon loaded lube, like TF2. I've used it to cure a real b*****d creak that I couldn't get rid of, dispite removing every component on the bike!!! (and it's lasted too!) I think the teflon plastic has a calming effect on the friction involved.

Top Bottom