What makes a good pub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks a bit cloudy.
It’s supposed to be, it’s an unfined brew called Hazy Jane. Very nice too.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's a drinkers pub,but does get kids in which can be a pain when they run and scream all around the bar.. not really a good thing to be honest.

The problem there is the parents, not the kids.

My sister is one of those - as soon as she's in a social situation, it's like her kids suddenly aren't her responsibility any more. It drives me mad. They're lovely kids but they don't have any boundaries. And you can't intervene when they start playing up either because then she'll turn on you.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
There's a pub in Bury St Edmunds call The Dove, which has no telly, no music, no fruit machines, and doesn't serve food. It does not even serve lager. It serves wine and spirits, but beer wise, it serves bitters, porters, milds, IPAs, basically traditional British beer. The beer is fairly cheap, and it is usually quite busy.

stephec

Legendary Member
Pint of beer, white wine or fruit based drink for the lady.

Al-Murray.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
The problem there is the parents, not the kids.

My sister is one of those - as soon as she's in a social situation, it's like her kids suddenly aren't her responsibility any more. It drives me mad. They're lovely kids but they don't have any boundaries. And you can't intervene when they start playing up either because then she'll turn on you.

So bloody annoying isn't it

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No children or TV, no food......
...and a whole load of cigarette smoke.

And a faint whiff of danger.

Last edited:
Thanks for that kevin. should have cycled on to there next time I was your way rather than the pig awful experience of getting me and the loaded bike onto a Virgin/Stagecoach East Coast Line at Peterborough - there in plenty of time, the train wasn't, pig getting the bike on, at London I was blamed for making their train late!

I see it has an outside area - do you happen to know if there is an external entry (ie not through the pub) to that that you could use to take a fully loaded tourer in?

The outside area is only at the back for the smokers
It’s front door only I am afraid

Levo-Lon

Guru
The Hollybush in Redbourn just outside St Alban's is a perfect little pub.

Had a very nice few pints in there last night

Levo-Lon

Guru
A pub near us offers dog treats.

The landlady caused something of a stir a few years ago, when some ‘Mumsnet mummies’ objected to having dogs around their little darlings, who were running riot whilst they got sloshed on Chardonnay. So the landlady banned the children. The mothers went off to the licensing panel... which backed the landlady.

Excellent result

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
For me a good pub needs to have a good bar manager who maintains a decent selection of cask ales, not too many, but they all need to be available. Too often I'll visit a new pub which has 3 or 4 interesting ales only to be told 3 of them are "off".

Top Bottom