What makes a good pub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
For me a good local should have a decent selection of real ale and no bloody under 5's with their bloody crap couldn't care less parents.

Food is not on my need to have for a local but a pub can't really survive withoug it these days.

My folks always seem to end up dining at Brewsters. I think they get a 20p discount for being really bloody old, and offers like that aren't to be sniffed at. The food's OK for the price but I'd rather pay a little (lot) more in a nice country pub and not have something like this occupying my peripheral vision...

premier-inn-blackburn.jpg

Serge

Über Member
My folks always seem to end up dining at Brewsters. I think they get a 20p discount for being really bloody old, and offers like that aren't to be sniffed at. The food's OK for the price but I'd rather pay a little (lot) more in a nice country pub and not have something like this occupying my peripheral vision...

View attachment 410019
I dunno, after ten pints it'd be fun to have a go on that.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
For me a good local should have a decent selection of real ale and no bloody under 5's with their bloody crap couldn't care less parents.

Food is not on my need to have for a local but a pub can't really survive withoug it these days.

I have three thriving locals within the space of a mile, none of which serve food except for pork pies. And whilst I share the preference for having an atmosphere as far removed as possible from a toddler's birthday party, I think it's crucial to a good community pub that it welcomes everybody and makes reasonable allowances for people with children. Too often, what some grumpy old men mean by not wanting small children around is that they don't want women in the pub - women being the de facto primary carers of most children, the effect of excluding children is to exclude women. My mother, being a single parent, took my brother and me into pubs throughout our childhood. We understood perfectly well that it was a place to sit and have drinks and crisps, and not a place where people would let us make the furniture into a den or launch missiles the length of the bar. Good landlords and staff should be able to handle the presence of children, and are entitled to ask anyone to leave whose behaviour is impacting disproportionately on others, whether that means parents letting their children run riot or groups of jostling, shouty, would-be alpha-males hogging all the space at the bar.

TVC

I have three thriving locals within the space of a mile, none of which serve food except for pork pies. And whilst I share the preference for having an atmosphere as far removed as possible from a toddler's birthday party, I think it's crucial to a good community pub that it welcomes everybody and makes reasonable allowances for people with children. Too often, what some grumpy old men mean by not wanting small children around is that they don't want women in the pub - women being the de facto primary carers of most children, the effect of excluding children is to exclude women. My mother, being a single parent, took my brother and me into pubs throughout our childhood. We understood perfectly well that it was a place to sit and have drinks and crisps, and not a place where people would let us make the furniture into a den or launch missiles the length of the bar. Good landlords and staff should be able to handle the presence of children, and are entitled to ask anyone to leave whose behaviour is impacting disproportionately on others, whether that means parents letting their children run riot or groups of jostling, shouty, would-be alpha-males hogging all the space at the bar.
My local is entirely welcoming to families, they even have a small collection of etch-a-sketchs behind the bar which prove a fantastic way of keeping children in one spot. They do though very occasionally have to remind a patron that they are not child minders.

Making a place family friendly also has the advantage of disuading groups of ladz from taking up residence.

Tin Pot

Guru

We’ve been blessed with well behaved children so far, and it still amazes me how calm, rational parents sometimes have lunatic kids.

They need to know that they’re not excluded, and they’re welcome no matter the challenge to the group. They’re own embarrassment does enough to segregate them as it is.

I will admit I’m no saint though, if I want to go out, drink hard and rant about the world, I don’t want to do it in the presence of children.

Levo-Lon

Guru

I'm not a grumpy old man.

I just hate kids,and why I've never had or wanted them.

My stepkids are fine tho.
Oh and my local only does rolls and pork pie.
It's a drinkers pub,but does get kids in which can be a pain when they run and scream all around the bar.. not really a good thing to be honest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom