What makes a good pub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Yup. I always had a problem with the conflict between the GPG and the GBG.
A pub can't be good without good beer but I agree that there are other criteria to elevate a boozer.

The GPG often doesn't consider beer quality at all. To be fair to the GBG, I've had far more disappointing experiences with the GPG.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Good beer,freindly bar staff. no nobbers, good food and cheap, That be our local Wetherspoon.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Our "local" (the Plough) USED to be a really nice pub. Proper country pub styling and good beers.
We would go every Friday after work plus other random visits.
Fridays always had a good crowd.
Then it became part of a big group who came along and ripped the heart out of it........ changed all the seating.....the bar area has those tall chairs that you have to climb up to sit on. The 'lounge' area is now just for dining (and the food is typical pub chain cr*p).
So.......that is what (IMO) makes a poor pub so I imagine the opposite would make a good one.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A lot of the pubs in central Brighton are proper old Victorian buildings with largely untouched, beautiful exteriors but have had the softness ripped out of the interiors, leaving a somewhat homogeneous, noisy, stripped pine look.
They're filled to the gunwhales and serve great beers so it's hard to knock the business model.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I am a Wetherspoons faithful regular but to call their food good is to undermine all your credibility.
It ain't Cordon Bleu. but i have never had a bad meal in there.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This bloke opened a pub on the moon, but it closed.

No atmosphere.
If only the Moon had been Under Water it would have been perfect.

Not only is that a lovely bit of writing - the right mix of fact and fantasy, analysis and prejudice couched in beautiful prose - but (if you mentally remove the traces of 1940s sexism) he's very nearly perfectly right.

Especially about the ambience. A pub needs to be noisy enough to be welcoming but quiet enough to make conversation possible at a conversational volume. I'm taking good beer as a given - and a good range of different styles, not just a wall of lagers or hop monster pales. There should be something for everyone.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Swan and Angel in St Ives, its brand new!
Thanks for that kevin. should have cycled on to there next time I was your way rather than the pig awful experience of getting me and the loaded bike onto a Virgin/Stagecoach East Coast Line at Peterborough - there in plenty of time, the train wasn't, pig getting the bike on, at London I was blamed for making their train late!

I see it has an outside area - do you happen to know if there is an external entry (ie not through the pub) to that that you could use to take a fully loaded tourer in?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
  • A decent selection of beers.
  • Staff that aren't apathetic arse-holes.
  • Nice beer garden.
  • Good affordable food.
  • Clean toilets.

The Apothecary in Lancaster seems to be a popular pub amongst my friends and acquaintances, yet it ticks none of the above. :wacko:

Levo-Lon

Guru
For me a good local should have a decent selection of real ale and no bloody under 5's with their bloody crap couldn't care less parents.

Food is not on my need to have for a local but a pub can't really survive withoug it these days.

Top Bottom