What modern technological equipment baffles you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Printers are bastards.

Eighty years and they still can't make the shitting things work properly? Honestly, I work with loads of high tech lab equipment and the thing that gives me the most grief is sodding printers.
[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK1D3bZhRs[/media]

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Vacuum flasks.
Keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold.

I mean , like how does it know ?

Amazing
You are probably joking, BUT ...! :laugh:

I am generally ok with technology. I can get most devices and software to do what I want them to eventually, but I often think that the people who designed them could make them easier to use.

PS Ha ha - I just found an example - the 'Newer Than' field in the pop up box used to set up Searches on the forum. I wanted to search for posts newer than about 6 years ago. The damn thing forced me to step back one month at a time for 72 months rather than allowing me to just type the date in!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Never mind sewing machines, I am baffled by how knitting needles work.

I’ve done a bit of sewing by hand in my time - I’m not very good at it but I understand the principle. But taking two pointed sticks and a ball of wool and fiddling the ends together until a jumper magically appears seems close to witchcraft to me.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Hardly a "modern" invention I suppose, but, I must admit, I do not understand electricity.

I remember being taught at school how all of these millions of things called "electrons" went rushing along a conductor, to form a "current" (or, was it a currant), but, when it all gets to the socket on the wall, and nothing is plugged in, how come it does not all just run out?

I know how to use it, and, most if not all of the devices it makes possible, but, I do not understand it!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Blockchain is a decentralized highly encyprted digital ledger for tracking digital asset transactions. The technology bitcoin transactions are based on.

Hope that helps.

Oh dear, just realised that is at least two things I do not understand........ sorry

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
In Mrs B's case, pretty much everything. I dread any new device or appliance, which has electronics coming into the house. Anything other than basic working is lost on her. So a printer prints. Scanning she has tried several times and it usually results in, "I've lost...." or "I can't find....."
I made the mistake of buying a freesat box, sound system and blue ray for the TV, at the same time. Absolute nightmare introducing three new remotes at the same time.

gbb

Legendary Member
I can't get my head round how sewing machines and printers work. They work so fast and are so efficient in producing excellent results every time, it is just a miracle for me.
We have flower bunch binders at work, in simple terms they throw an elasticated string around the bunch of stems and ties and knots them...in milliseconds. I look at the mechanisms, all cams and levers, jaws and what looks like a bird' beak...and cannot get my head round it.

gbb

Legendary Member
e-learning.
I'd sooner nail my nuts to my work bench using rusty nails and a bent hammer. Gaaahhhhh, who the heck ever thought they were easy to navigate, I ended up nearly having a breakdown trying to complete one :wacko::laugh:

Top Bottom