What modern technological equipment baffles you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
ePassport gates at airports. I've never been successful getting through one anywhere in the world.
Just to balance things up, I love them...mainly because I get through...and my wife gets rejected :tongue: I never fail to remind her :dance:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I did say "modern" machines.
Did they have electricity in 1790 ?
Could they print colour photos in seconds in 1938?

I had to laugh. I am a sailmaker and work with some of the worlds largest sewing machines. My brother is the sewing machine mechanic. What made me laugh was why do you think you need electric to make a sewing machine work. You have seen Singer treadle sewing machines, surely.

But to answer the OPs original question.

The answer is GARMIN.

Tin Pot

Guru
Powered flight.

That this thing flies through the air isn’t technology, it’s sorcery.

f-wwdd-airbus-industrie-airbus-a380-861-21643.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
uk-galaxy-s4-i9505-gt-i9505zwabtu-053-front-white-10029699994725?$PD_GALLERY_JPG$.jpg

The fact that something this small can be so powerful, also I can talk to my mate in Australia with hardly any time delay.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hardly a "modern" invention I suppose, but, I must admit, I do not understand electricity.

I remember being taught at school how all of these millions of things called "electrons" went rushing along a conductor, to form a "current" (or, was it a currant), but, when it all gets to the socket on the wall, and nothing is plugged in, how come it does not all just run out?

I know how to use it, and, most if not all of the devices it makes possible, but, I do not understand it!

Ah but as I learnt recently, maybe on here, that's completely wrong. Electricity actualy runs on smoke which is why when your device is broken the smoke leaks out.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Hardly a "modern" invention I suppose, but, I must admit, I do not understand electricity.

In fact, not an invention at all.

I had to laugh. I am a sailmaker and work with some of the worlds largest sewing machines. My brother is the sewing machine mechanic. What made me laugh was why do you think you need electric to make a sewing machine work. You have seen Singer treadle sewing machines, surely.

But to answer the OPs original question.

The answer is GARMIN.

And hand crank machines - I have four of those (Singer and Hexagon) ranging in date from the 1890s to the 1920s. ^_^

I have a lovely 1941 vintage Singer 99k with a Hillman electric motor - was a skip find, in full working order with all the attachments. The foot pedal needs a bit of attention, but it's a super machine to work with.

IMG_2193_small.jpg

My other everyday machine is a 1960s Pfaff Gritzner Model 18. :smile:

pfaff-gritzner-model-18-industrial_1_790abe157f670daa04c046cb15ab1701.jpg

P.S. This one isn't mine, but it's the kind I have.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Fitness tracking watch. I was given one for Christmas but I'm struggling to work out what it's actually for.
It thinks I'm asleep when I'm wide awake. It counts my steps but only if I
wave my arms about when l walk. I can't see the heart rate monitor in real time without holding a button down.

It does tell the time, but so did my old watch.

classic33

Leg End Member
Fitness tracking watch. I was given one for Christmas but I'm struggling to work out what it's actually for.
It thinks I'm asleep when I'm wide awake. It counts my steps but only if I
wave my arms about when l walk. I can't see the heart rate monitor in real time without holding a button down.

It does tell the time, but so did my old watch.
Mines an old fashioned one, I've to look at it to check the time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The TV. Why do we have to have TWO controllers to watch the damned TV? It's unnecessarily complicated and I hate it so much that I can't be bothered to learn how it works so I just stab at it while Mrs Gti patiently talks me through it. Actually I do know how to start the TV for the breakfast news and for Countryfile in case Ellie Harrison is on....:wub:

Top Bottom