What needs oiling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Me or the bike ! Last couple of rides have been really hard, feels like i have to pedal hard as though im in top gear all the time. Could or should i oil something, ive checked brakes not rubbing what else should i do ? Bike could really do with a service but im not sure how xx thanks in advance for any advice xxx

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Pump those tyres up!

alicat

Legendary Member
Sounds like your bike could do with a service by your lbs if you don't have the skills/confidence to do it.

Check the tyres for the correct pressure,usually between 85-95 psi if 700 x 25c( will depend on many things like width and if they are tubed or tubeless and your weight).

Oh and don't over lube the chain, all you'll do is attract crap which will clog up the rear derailleur;give the chain and derailleurs a clean with a degreaser(not wd-40!) and then apply the oil on the inside of the chain and run it through the gears,then use a rag and gently hold it around the chain and spin it again to wipe of the excess.

Slick

Guru
I did the bearings on the rear wheel on both the Genesis and the Cannondale a few weeks back and it's made a huge difference. If you have been using the bike all winter, it will definitely not be you that requires oiling.:smile:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Your tyres don't need to be rock hard. That can actually increase rolling resistance. They need to compress a little to soak up imperfections on the ground.
Give the chain, cassette, chainrings and derailleur jockey wheels a good clean then oil the jockeys and chain. A drop of oil on each jockey bearing is enough. Soak a rag with oil and run the chain through it. You don't need loads as as said oil attracts dirt which you don't need.
If this fails it's time to check the hub bearings and possibly bottom bracket.
Failing that, you might just be run down. Have a break. :smile:

Last edited:
Check the tyres for the correct pressure,usually between 85-95 psi if 700 x 25c( will depend on many things like width and if they are tubed or tubeless and your weight).

Oh and don't over lube the chain, all you'll do is attract crap which will clog up the rear derailleur;give the chain and derailleurs a clean with a degreaser(not wd-40!) and then apply the oil on the inside of the chain and run it through the gears,then use a rag and gently hold it around the chain and spin it again to wipe of the excess.

IME WD40 is excellent at cleaning chains. Had over 30,000 miles from my last motorcycle chain, which I often cleaned using WD40. For bicycle chains I only use wet wipes but I do rarely use WD40 if the chain is particularly bad. Just make sure to dry the chain off and put a proper lube on afterwards, works for me. This subject has way too many answers, and different ones work for different people. It is universally agreed that WD40 shouldnt be used to lube the chain tho.

As Threevok said by turning your bike upside down and seeing if your wheels run freely you can narrow down the cause . Check that the jockey wheels rotate freely as well as I have seen some with flats from where they have seized .

Top Bottom