What not to wear on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The only rules in cycling (apart from the highway code) is wear what you want to wear, ride the bike you want to ride.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
What are these climb classifications that people keep quoting?

I'm prolly going to hash this explanation up a little but: In professional racing they rate the climbs in percentages, ratios and categories. Categories are 1, 2, 3 and HC. HC is the hardest of all mountain climbs... Most Brits wont really see anything other than a 2.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm prolly going to hash this explanation up a little but: In professional racing they rate the climbs in percentages, ratios and categories. Categories are 1, 2, 3 and HC. HC is the hardest of all mountain climbs... Most Brits wont really see anything other than a 2.
spot on

amaferanga

Veteran
Anyone wearing cheap or non-cycling kit really should try some good quality, fitted cycling gear. You don't have to spend a fortune to get good kit - shop around in sales at the likes of Prendas and Ribble Cycles and you can get top quality jerseys and bib shorts for under £50 each made by the likes of Santini, Castelli, Craft, etc.

The team kit generally costs more than plain kit of similar quality so it's not worth buying unless you actually think it looks good. And the fake team kit from China is mostly low quality and poor fitting.

jowwy

Anyone wearing cheap or non-cycling kit really should try some good quality, fitted cycling gear. You don't have to spend a fortune to get good kit - shop around in sales at the likes of Prendas and Ribble Cycles and you can get top quality jerseys and bib shorts for under £50 each made by the likes of Santini, Castelli, Craft, etc.

The team kit generally costs more than plain kit of similar quality so it's not worth buying unless you actually think it looks good. And the fake team kit from China is mostly low quality and poor fitting.
all my team kit is authentic and comes from rapha - expensive, yes it is - good quality, yes it is - does it cost more cause it has sky on it, nope

amaferanga

Veteran

The climb classifications in the grand tours depend on the other climbs on the stage as well. I suspect the classification of UK climbs is more a Strava and/or sportive thing.

I doubt anything in the UK would ever be more than a Cat 2 climb in the TDF anyway (even the likes of the Bealach na Ba and Great Dunn Fell).

amaferanga

Veteran
all my team kit is authentic and comes from rapha - expensive, yes it is - good quality, yes it is - does it cost more cause it has sky on it, nope

I'm sure your Rapha kit is great. I own one Rapha jersey and it's very average - it'd be a £30 jersey if it was made by anyone else.

jowwy

The climb classifications in the grand tours depend on the other climbs on the stage as well. I suspect the classification of UK climbs is more a Strava and/or sportive thing.

I doubt anything in the UK would ever be more than a Cat 2 climb in the TDF anyway (even the likes of the Bealach na Ba and Great Dunn Fell).
cat 2 climbs are still pretty damn hard when you weigh in at 17st..........and it has nothing to do with strava

jowwy

I'm sure your Rapha kit is great. I own one Rapha jersey and it's very average - it'd be a £30 jersey if it was made by anyone else.
but its not, its made by rapha

my nike trainers are pretty good, but put a dunlop logo on them and they would cost far less

your point is what?????

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
At the basic level, anything comfortable and appropriate for the weather on your journey is perfect. I find rear pockets on jerseys are very useful too, though not too handy for everybody.

OP
OP
David5416

David5416

Über Member
Some very varied and in depth replies to an honest question. I was only asking advice from people who obviously know more about their sport than me . Thank you very much mr-haematocrit you made me smile and you are so very right. Thanks to everybody for their own personal and honest opinions.

Top Bottom