What pen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I write a lot (I have hypergraphia) and while some of it ends up transcribed to the computer, the vast majority starts off as ink on paper. I have an obsessive's stash of Bic cristal grip biros because they write so nicely on Moleskines, but I also write with a fountain pen.

I use a stainless steel Parker Vector, which is hardly high-end as pens go, and fancied treating myself. So I had a look at some of the more expensive pens on the market. Having had a heart attack over pens costing upwards of 1000 of your Earth pounds (I mean, for REAL?) I was wondering what the discerning members of this forum would reccomend in the way of a good quality fountain pen.

Must haves: slim design, refillable from bottled ink rather than cartridge (inbuilt refillable reservoir or converter preferred), smooth writing (naturally), fairly narrow line.

Sam

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
If I have a pen, I will inevitably chew it or lose it at some point. For these reasons, I have relied on cheapo placcy ones for 20+yrs.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Is Montegrappa too expensive?

I know what you mean about the vector pens. Somehow the lids are quite prone to going too.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Rotring Art pens are really lovely Sam, but not high end (think £15 ish?) I like their "Esprit" collapsible pen too. I think both use cartridges, although I seem to recall that you can get an adaptor for the Art Pen.

Lots of recommendations in this thread for the pricey stuff though; https://www.cyclechat.net/

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It's not the make but rather the quality of the nib..

I have a Sheaffer 14k gold nib which is exellent and much better than a same make steel nib.

You probably want a "fine" nib but as always some makers vary with their sizes.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Cross Englesburger.

In fact any of the Cross models are pretty good, but I like that one because its fairly slim and fairly plain.

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Montegrappa is definitely too expensive!

OK. When I said "high end" I sort of meant in the £30 - 100 range, rather than the £100 - 500 range.

Although the Rotring Artpen does look nice because of the interchangeable nib. Not sure about the ridged finish, though. I write a lot -- enough to have a deformed middle finger from where the pen sits against the joint. That's why I prefer a slim design (easier to keep the pressure off) and I like the rubber grip on the cristal bics.

The Cross Sentiment looks quite nice, although those charm things are naff.

The Lamy CP-1 also looks nice, although it's on the expensive side for just treating myself.

Hurm
reading.gif

Might have to go find a shop and see how they feel in the hand.

Sam

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
hello sam, how about tombow, the 101 carbon it's supposed to be pretty light

there's also the 707 but that's a ball point

Melvil

+1 I not only write with my waterman (bought for a most reasonable £50) but draw a lot with it, too. It's silky smooth and very comfortable to hold and the build is superb.

I'm a fan of Waterman pens, and currently use the Carene. They're not the slimmest of designs, but really make writing a pleasure.

Waterman

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
For over two years I have managed to keep my pen purchase addiction under tight control, gone from buying at least one new one per week to making a retractable pencil last for months. I honestly thought I was the only person who had this obsession which in some way helped me get it in check but now I see I was not alone and all my pen purchasing deamons are coming back - now I'm back to sqaure one, bike bits or pens - it's a hard life when your an addict!!

Top Bottom