What pen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
On my desk at home there is a desk tidy that contains nothing but unused Bic Cristal Grip pens. Once they've been used, even once, they have to live in the other desk tidy along with the random other pens and pencils
icon_smile_blush.gif

Sam

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
On my desk at home there is a desk tidy that contains nothing but unused Bic Cristal Grip pens. Once they've been used, even once, they have to live in the other desk tidy along with the random other pens and pencils
icon_smile_blush.gif

Sam

Have you tried Therapy? No it's not a pen..........

gavintc

Guru
I find I lose cheap pens and pencils, but never lose expensive ones. I think people regard cheap pens as nickable and they seem to walk from my desk on a regular basis.

I was given a Waterman and Mont Blanc fountain pens some time ago. Of the two, I prefer the Waterman and use it on a daily basis. I think it flows better than the Mont Blanc.

Norm

I'll confess to being another addict, although Mrs Norm has kept me in check for the past 21 years, I have a number of nice Parkers from before that and several Cross pens which have sneaked under the radar. I've even got a pair of Tombow Eggs, in silver and gloss black.

I picked up a Cross Edge a few days ago, sweet little pen, lovely action but I got it mostly for the "Octane Green" (a.k.a puke-green) colour. :biggrin: It's also irrelevant here as it is either rollerball or ballpoint.

However, I got a Pilot V pen a couple of years ago, and I'm now using those frequently. Not much more than a cartridge at £3 each, they are cheap enough that I have several on the go with different coloured ink (black, blue and red generally).

I tried a Rotring in the first day of the new job today. Fecking thing leaked all over me. It's in the bin now. :angry:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Alas, my all-time favourite pen disappeared a long time ago. The Pentel Ceranomatic drafting pen with a 0.35 mm tip. Unlike Rotrings, they didn't clog or leak, and had a wonderfully smooth ceramic tip. A sad loss :sad:

Fountain pens were compulsory when I was at school. Consequently, this is how my homework usually ended up:

blot1.jpg

Sorry, can't be much help, pentel fibre-tip for me...

Slim

Über Member
Of the pens I've got, my preference is for a Cross Townsend. I'd love to get hold of a Pilot M90 but the bank manager would get a bit upset.

You really need to get to a decent pen shop though. I've seen pens that looked gorgeous but just didn't feel right in my hand (that could easily apply to the Pilot M90 as well).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Montegrappa is definitely too expensive!

OK. When I said "high end" I sort of meant in the £30 - 100 range, rather than the £100 - 500 range.

Might have to go find a shop and see how they feel in the hand.

Sam

Try some pens as well...
But it's exactly what you need to do. All pens feel different, weight, balance, nib type yadda yadda and tou need to find what worksd for you.

I had several of these types of Shaeffer Targa pens with metal bodies and they were fairly slim and weighty. and I loved writing with them. With the cap on the end they were quite pendulum-like.
http://fountainpens....a-fountain-pen/

Now I write with Mont Blanc Traveller (a slightly smaller Meisterstuck, cartridge only - guaraunteed not to leak on planes!) which I've used for over 10 years (only £220 back then!).
http://www.wheelersl...--meisterstuck/

In contrast to the Shaeffers it's incredibly light and a bit fatter to boot and it took a while to get used to it, but I love it!
I thought I'd lost it a few weeks back and was very happy when the Chauffered car that took me to the airport found it in the back of the car! He got a generous tip!

So have fun in a pen shop and try a few without any pre-conceptions and see what works for you.

In the past 30 years I've used 4 fountains pens almost exclusively every singleday, I can't write with anything else (well maybe a propelling pencil).

FF

Hah! My favourite subject! If there is anyone here who has more fountain pens than I do, I'll eat my shorts. Some will have one or two, some may have as many as 5. One or two really obsessive folks out there may even get into double digits. How many do I have? Haven't counted them for a while but last time I did it ran to just over 1000. So keen on them that we arranged our US holiday to coincide with the Washington Pen Show, biggest pen show in the world. Spent the best part of $2000 in 30 minutes.........

I've collected them for years and my wife sells them on www.oldschoolpens.com but I'm the buyer and fixer, so I can probably give an informed opinion. First thing, yes the nib is what determines how smoothly it will write but it don't matter a tuppenny damn if it's made of steel or gold. It's the bit that touches the paper that matters most and that's generally made of a ruthenium alloy (not iridium, that hasn't been used for decades). The material may to some extent determine how flexible the nib is but I've got flexible steel and gold nibs and gold nibs that are as flexible as a six inch nail.

Best manufacturer? Forget MontBl*nc (can't even bring myself to write the name, let alone speak it aloud) if ever there was a triumph of marketing above substance it's them. Buy one and you're likely to break it in short order and I've yet to use one that writes correctly without adjustment. My personal favourite is Sheaffer, followed by Parker, Platinum (not Platignum, they were older British junk, Platinum are Japanese), Lamy, Elysee (no longer in production).

Best pen? No doubt about it, Sheaffer Snorkel - I have dozens of them in all sorts of colours, nib types and materials, the most complex fountain pen ever made, writes like a dream and very reliable considering the quirky filling mechanism. Want a really pricey one? Solid 14k gold Snorkel, mint condition, broad stub nib (ultra rare), I'll take £2000. However, a good basic Snorkel is still very affordable. Second on the list I'd put the Parker 51, wonderful pen, almost bullet proof operation. In fact, my favourite daily pen is a 51, black with a rolled silver cap and a broad stub nib that glides over the paper like ice over ice. I have one in the safe that is in mint condition made of solid 18k gold. Price? You don't want to know.......... I usually carry the 51, a Snorkel Autograph with solid 14k cap band, a Namiki Vanishing Point, a Parker 65 Cumulus Clouds pattern (serious bling look!), a Conway Stewart Centenary (limited edition number 50, bought for my 50th by Alison), an Elysee Dragon (cloisonne design), all in a converted leather cigar case and together worth more than I care to think.

My recommendation would be to source a vintage pen from the 1950s or 60s, which were the best eras for good quality and design. Perhaps a Sheaffer Snorkel with a conical nib, but you need to get one that's properly restored, or a Parker 51 as they usually just need washing out with cold water if they haven't been abused. Snorkels come in nib widths that run from paintbrush to needle, the broad ones are the rare ones as are the ultra fine Accountants nibs. Extra fine are common. Very slim and light too, unless you go for the gold filled or solid gold versions. An alternative later model would be the Sheaffer Targa, comes in two widths, loads of choice of design and nib widths.

My phone number is on my wife's website if you want further advice.

Gordon

Of the pens I've got, my preference is for a Cross Townsend. I'd love to get hold of a Pilot M90 but the bank manager would get a bit upset.

This may make you want to scream, but I've had three of the original versions of that pen over the years and sold them all. See http://www.stutler.c...urex/index.html for the history of the pen. I've had two of the original 701s, a black striped one and the long version. The latter one I bought at a pen auction when no-one else seemed to want it and much to the surprise of the auctioneer it was knocked down to my £20 opening bid. Sold it to a Belgian collector who wanted one to complete his collection and didn't mind paying for it. Still regret selling it!

As for the Townsend, one of my fave modern pens, I have examples of many of the versions including the rare and very expensive Jade and Lapis Lazuli versions. Alison writes with a sterling silver one and we bought a bunch of silver fps and ballpoints for presents some years ago. Most have been given to nephews and nieces for their 18th birthdays, they seem to like them!

Gordon

Top Bottom