What pen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
cowgum.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It's arrived - took nearly three months, but made it in the end!

It's very nicely made, writes well (unlike me!) and the top snaps back on with a very satisfying 'click'. It's a beast though, I thought my old Rotring 600 was a big pen but this is bigger again. Compared to a couple of Rotrings and my old Parker it's a monster.

gallery_3629_9_54086.jpg

What model is that, 3bm?

I have a Jinhao X450, and two Baoer 517s, and none of them will write unless I give the cartridge in them a squeeze. On the upside, a pack of Hero 616s I bought are great little pens for the money.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
What model is that, 3bm?

I have a Jinhao X450, and two Baoer 517s, and none of them will write unless I give the cartridge in them a squeeze. On the upside, a pack of Hero 616s I bought are great little pens for the money.

It's a 505 JtM, took a while for the ink to get going but seems to be OK now.

I'll check out the 616s, although you've already cost me a Rotring collapsable and one of those chubby pencil jobbies from previous recommendations.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It's a 505 JtM, took a while for the ink to get going but seems to be OK now.

I'll check out the 616s, although you've already cost me a Rotring collapsable and one of those chubby pencil jobbies from previous recommendations.

:biggrin: 616s are a fine nib, and bottle fill only, so might not be for you if you prefer cartridges or a broader writing pen- mine are really good though, fairly nice fine nib, start easily, and write smoothly.

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I'm really happy with both my Jinhaos. Not as happy as I am with the 25 year old Hero I got off ebay, though! Favourite for my journal writing is still the Platinum Carbon.

Awaiting arrival of one of those tubby clutch pencils. And now I've got started on ink!

I just ordered a bottle of the Platinum Carbon ink, John, because I liked the stuff in the cartridge. It's less viscous than the Noodler's Borealis, and the Ultra Black by Private Reserve runs like a bugger if it gets damp.

5254585400_830de3b4fe.jpg

Sam

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
:biggrin: 616s are a fine nib, and bottle fill only, so might not be for you if you prefer cartridges or a broader writing pen- mine are really good though, fairly nice fine nib, start easily, and write smoothly.

I like the Rotring Esprit best, the collapsable one. Although an M, it's on the fine end of M - nice to hold and nice to write with.

The Shorty pencils are lovely, cute too!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'll persevere with the Jinhao & Baoers then.

When you order Diamine ink, they send boxes of mixed cartridges, so I have to have something to use them up in!

My current bottled inks are Diamine Oxblood, Amazing Amethyst, Evergreen & Graphite (30ml sampler bottles), Rotring Brillant Blue, and Herbin Perle Noire. I need to thin out the pens some though, bought a few while trying to figure out what I liked (a bit like 35mm cameras, fountain pens can be incredibly cheap 2nd hand, although you get some lemons in with the good 'uns).

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Favourite for my journal writing is still the Platinum Carbon.

I just googled that expecting an expensive pen with name like Platinum Carbon - £11!

Must resist, I don't need it.
Must resist, I don't need it...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I just googled that expecting an expensive pen with name like Platinum Carbon - £11!

Shall I list all the pens I have..? :blush:

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend

Yeah, but if you get it it's worth getting the deskstand too, and that's another 15 quid.

I love that pen. It's smooth, it's light, it's elegant and I can use it for pinning my hair back!

It's the one at the back of the photo I posted, behind the ink.

Sam

Top Bottom