What pen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was thinking that myself, John.

I've ordered one of these Platinum Carbon pens from Cult Pens. It should turn up today or tomorrow, so I'll see how I get on with it. I ordered the converter to go with it. Obviously not a pen for carrying around, but I have a selection of Vectors for that. I wouldn't want to lose a good pen and I'm very good at losing pens.

I do think I need to go to a shop where they will let me try before I buy before spending a significant amount of money, though.

Sam

Sensible buy that, Platinum have made consistantly good pens for many years, I have several in different designs, mostly the higher end stuff, but they also do the ultra high-end pens hand painted in maki-e lacquer see http://www.lux-brand...enusa/makie.htm works of art rather than pens.

If you ever get to Suffolk you are welcome to try some of the pens I have.

Gordon

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I can report that the Platinum Carbon has a beautiful, crisp line. It is very fine -- I can't use my mocha Parker ink because it doesn't show up properly. it doesn't feel as smooth as my Parker, although I suspect that's because of the difference in nib size and I quickly got used to it. The Parker feels fat and blobby now. I like it so much I carry it around with me even though it's awkward.

I'm going to take a punt on one of the Jinhao pens (although JoJo's Pen Shop has vanished) with a fine nib as a pen to carry and keep the Platinum for home.

Sam

You can do something similar with any fountain pen that uses a cartridge, just take the empty cartridge out and refill it with ink from a bottle using a blunted hypodermic. I managed to get a syringe and needle from my local vet when I was down there with the dog, fortunately he knows me well enough to trust my reasons for wanting it!

To avoid mishaps, grind the sharp bit of the needle down on a whetstone and the use it to refill cartridges. You need the needle on to allow you to inject ink right into the end of the cartridge, otherwise it will drip everywhere. Plastic ink cartridges can be refilled almost indefinitely this way and it gives you access to all sorts of ink colours that don't come in cartridges. My wife uses a Herbin purple ink that is scented and is definitely not produced in cartridge form. It's also cheaper to refill cartridges and it's difficult to get bottled ink converters for some fountain pens. Alison's pen is a Waterman Lady Agathe for which converters are almost impossible to get so refilling the cartridge is the best way to go. I also use a Sailor Chalana now and then that is extremely slim (currently slimmest fountain pen on the market) and although converters are available for them now and then, they are unreliable.

FP ink is a subject in it's own right - don't get me started - but my favourite ink de jour is a 50 year old 1 pint bottle of Stephens Radiant Blue, just like I used at school. Found it a car boot sale and gladly paid a fiver for it. Should last a week or two!

Reminds me of the only song about fountain pens that I know.....bit rude but in for a penny as they say!
There once was a girl, I don't know when
Seduced herself with a fountain pen
The pen it broke, the ink ran wild
And she gave birth to a blue-black child
And they called the b*****d Stephen
They called the b*****d Stephen
They caaaaaaaaaaalled the b*****d Stephen
'Cos that was the name of the ink, not Quink......

Gordon

That Sailor Chalana is beautiful. I may have to start saving.

Sam

You need to see one first - they are unbelievably slim and the nib is tiny. This photo shows one in the company of some normal size pens as does this one. I have three of them, a white one, a slightly thicker gold plated one with a hexagonal cross section (a prototype from the factory) and one in sterling silver (reputed to be a one off, no-one has ever seen another).

Gordon

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
There are some absolutely beautiful inks out there - I'm going to ransack the drawers for the convertor that came with my artpen and start investigating some.

Also enjoyed browsing your site, Gordon, although the pens are beyond my budget at the moment!

Looks like I've another hobby - Mrs Monkey will be thrilled...

There are some absolutely beautiful inks out there - I'm going to ransack the drawers for the convertor that came with my artpen and start investigating some.

Also enjoyed browsing your site, Gordon, although the pens are beyond my budget at the moment!

Looks like I've another hobby - Mrs Monkey will be thrilled...

I collect hobbies! Far too many of them.....

If you want inks in a wide variety of colours and types try The Writing Desk, strictly speaking Anna and Martin Roberts are in competition with my wife's web business, but they deal mainly in modern pens whilst Alison sells mainly vintage stuff so we rub along nicely. Anna is based in Bury St Edmunds, just up the road from us and she's a very nice person to deal with. I'm certain their claim to carry the widest range of inks on sale anywhere is correct, over 300 to choose from............check out Noodlers Eternal, a waterproof fp ink (actually a reactive dye that chemically bonds to cellulose and once it's dry it won't wash out).

Gordon

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Bought one - less than £12 inc postage, in fact it was nearly all postage. Looks quite good, if it ever arrives!

It's arrived - took nearly three months, but made it in the end!

It's very nicely made, writes well (unlike me!) and the top snaps back on with a very satisfying 'click'. It's a beast though, I thought my old Rotring 600 was a big pen but this is bigger again. Compared to a couple of Rotrings and my old Parker it's a monster.

gallery_3629_9_54086.jpg

gallery_3629_9_13567.jpg

Top Bottom