What plans have you got for when you retire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Funnily enough I've been thinking about all this retirement lark since I turned 60 and wondering how I was going to disentangle myself from my job. Suddenly this year things have begun to happen anyway, setting me on the path to retirement in a couple of years or sooner. One factor is the increasing stupidity of the rules and regulations affecting my job, meaning it's becoming harder to do without fearing the consequences of your decisions and without the need to cover your backside all the time. I suspect that many people reach this stage in their working lives as modern ways become increaingly onerous and distasteful to them.

ozboz

Guru
At 41 and the health problems I already have I firmly believe that come retirement age, I'll either be 6 foot under or wheelchair bound.
I never had high expectations in life even when I was younger. As long as my kids are happy, have a roof over our heads (our council house qualifies), I can go camping now and then and I can continue cycling, I'll die a happy man.
My biggest plans in life are to go bike touring in the UK. If I can do that then :okay:

I have an calling for touring parts of UK , my first , I hope will be the road from Newcastle to Edinburgh, I’ve been threatening to do this for 3 years now and work keeps getting in the way ,

Genau

Move back to my northern ancestral homeland. Partly because there is no point being in a high-cost location once the necessity for work has gone and partly because there is an increased possibility I might occasionally speak to the neighbours up there. Of course, I'll still be me so that reduces the chances of good neighbourly relations.

Read more, walk more, drink more - not necessarily in that order.

Get a dog. That's probably my No. 1 life ambition - having a dog. Well, that and being so rich I can retire now rather than in 20 years.

Just celebrate, every single day, the fact that I'll no longer have to work. You're not really free so long as you have to work.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s great to plan but these things need money and unless you have a gold plated pension everything might not be possible. I’m sure that those that have posted have got things sorted but I fear for younger people who have huge financial commitments and are ignoring making or even thinking about a retirement plan.

As @DCLane says once you get older health can become a problem. I remember my old boss got a great pension, mortgage paid, had the Morgan +8 bought only to suffer neurological problems and died at a young age.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
It’s great to plan but these things need money and unless you have a gold plated pension everything might not be possible. I’m sure that those that have posted have got things sorted but I fear for younger people who have huge financial commitments and are ignoring making or even thinking about a retirement plan.
As @DCLane says once you get older health can become a problem. I remember my old boss got a great pension, mortgage paid, had the Morgan +8 bought only to suffer neurological problems and died at a young age.
I don't think that looking on the dark side is a good way of approaching retirement?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Ride from the UK to Istanbul on our tandem
Not go to work ever again
Visit Petra and Pyramids (although this may happen earlier)
Build model railway (N-gauge)
Buy a narrow boat (shhh - - don't tell Mrs Cisamcgu)
Maybe walk Hadrian's Wall

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't think that looking on the dark side is a good way of approaching retirement?
I don’t think it’s looking on the dark side. When the length of string is getting shorter you need to think about these things so you can make a valued judgment about your future plans. Everything needs to be considered.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Continue riding the bike and walking. Continue organising cycling events. Continue painting. Continue gardening. Etc.

Actually, I'm already there.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
There's lots of aspiring railway builders on here!

If I retire at 60 I'll have spent 30 years driving them, don't intend playing with trains when I retire, although I know a few older drivers who have :blush:

Once our mortgage is paid off we plan on getting a camper van, & my first summer of retirement our plan is to follow the TDF & then for me tackle LEJOG on our return to these shores, after that who knows?

I agree about doing things now whilst you are young & fit enough, but also believe having a plan for retirement is a good idea, rather than just finishing work one day & then thinking what to do with your time

Top Bottom