What plans have you got for when you retire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
I retired at 56 last november.

I promptly fell off my bike and tore the ligaments in my knee and ankle so not what I'd actually planned!

Since then I have
Bought a Cobra replica
Sold it
Bought a westfield
Replaced the kitchen
Sold my motorbike
Not done as much cycling (due to above injury)

Maybe not a lot, but the biggest thing I have done is woken up every morning and thanked whatever deity exists that I didn't have to go to work. Can honestly say I havent missed work, havent missed colleagues, and havent missed the money.

Best thing I've ever done, who cares if I don't fill every day, certainly I don't.

One piece of advice may be helpful to others (or not) and that is to only do one job around the house per day, that means they don't take over your life, and you don't start to make lists, planning how to do them as though you were at work, and stop doing enjoyable things

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
Some great ideas but the thought of a camper van to me is just awful, I couldn’t think of much worse but each to their own

Model railways are the future lol

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hoping I make it that far - not been doing a good job of that with bike accidents in recent years. Ideally retire before I'm 60 - will see what options are like in the next 10 years as I should have a reasonable pension pot by then, but will need to see what work (assuming I'm still there) will let me do.

First i heard of it was the other day when two men died.
Seems a very odd passtime.

There's a few round here. The local canals haven't been drained for years but a lot of "bites" are from rusted bikes and scrap metal so there's a lot of crap to get through before anything interesting crops up.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hoping I make it that far - not been doing a good job of that with bike accidents in recent years. Ideally retire before I'm 60 - will see what options are like in the next 10 years as I should have a reasonable pension pot by then, but will need to see what work (assuming I'm still there) will let me do.
Im in a similar boat, eldest is not 18 till im 62 so i have to keep going as long as i can , not sure how many years i can keep doing my current job as the aging work force plan is " your all athletes so its up to you to keep healthy" = tough luck if you cant keep up.
TBH even with works pension im not really looking forward to the future as it seems i have to keep going till illness or injury stop me.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I agree that it's sensible to live one's life now rather than waiting for retirement, but when that means just an hour or two of an evening (if we're lucky) and trying to pack everything else into weekends, its tough to do much of anything. There's no denying that retirement will offer a lot more opportunity timewise.

I intend to do what I do now - but more of it, and hopefully to a better quality. So that's more time spent with SWMBO, family, friends, and the dog. Maybe even have a few holidays which hasn't happened in ten years. More cycling. More motorcycling. More writing. More fishing. More photography. In fact one of the things I'm most looking forward to is being able to get up at stupid o'clock to go fishing, and photographing in the pre-dawn and then be able to have a lie-in the next day, or maybe an afternoon nap!

I'd like to do LEJOG, but if that doesn't happen, at least a few shorter tours- maybe the Celtic Trail. Wouldn't mind trying my hand at painting. I enjoy drawing already, but have never tried the oils.

I'm looking forward to it, when it gets here.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You forgot the caravan......;)
….and a tin of boiled sweets....
boiled sweets.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom