what risk exposure accepting PayPal payment..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
i am advertising a small sub-£20 item - funds by Bank Transfer
a prospective Buyer wants to use PayPal
what are the risks to me........?

...fees..?
...claims non-delivery so refunded by PayPal..?

not a big deal, but I'd like to know for the future...............thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, fees, a minimum plus about 4%. Make him pay the extra

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
i am advertising a small sub-£20 item - funds by Bank Transfer
a prospective Buyer wants to use PayPal
what are the risks to me........?

...fees..?
...claims non-delivery so refunded by PayPal..?

not a big deal, but I'd like to know for the future...............thanks

If you are sending the item to him use a tracked service so if he claims non delivery you can prove it was delivered, if he is picking it up make him pay cash never ever accept paypal for an item that is been collected.

Dont forget there is the new PAYM service where you can link your bank account to your mobile phone number and people can send the money to your mobile number and that is free.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Not a big fan of paypal for personal transactions myself.
You could get some knob start an issue after you've posted and then get a refund from paypal, as you already said.
Bought as seen=cash. No comebacks!
Unless you post it recorded delivery and add that proof of postage to the paypal payment and then attach the signed proof of acceptance once item is received.

Jobs a winner :smile:

compo

Veteran
Where does that leave sellers who pay for a signed for delivery but the postman doesn't bother knocking, he just posts the package through the door. I haven't signed for a delivery from Royal Mail for months but have had several deliveries that should have been signed for.

Where does that leave sellers who pay for a signed for delivery but the postman doesn't bother knocking, he just posts the package through the door. I haven't signed for a delivery from Royal Mail for months but have had several deliveries that should have been signed for.
claiming off the RM if it goes missing and you have to refund the buyer, so make sure you insure it correctly!

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't think you paid fees if you called it a gift?
I think even then, maybe not the sender if money in account but the receiver? Unless the rules changed. I despise Paypal myself

''for months '' ..............for years here

not even for a bike, and a set of bars from France
both left in the shed whilst i was at home
at least they were delivered... I have just had a non-delivery report for an amazon parcel (not RM) and have been in all day. All it means is that they can't find my house again, which is very annoying because I have actually had an amazon delivery today as well, just for a different parcel. It now means that they will 'try' twice more and then return it to amazon. Ahhhhh

uclown2002

Guru
Making it a gift simply means the payer not the payee pays any fees due.
Are you sure?
It’s free to use PayPal to send or receive money between friends and family in the UK, as long as the payment is funded by a debit card, bank account or PayPal balance, and no currency conversion is involved.

If you fund the payment using a credit card or make an international transfer, we charge you or, in some cases, the recipient a small fee. A currency conversion fee may also apply.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

fabregas485

There was a case a few days ago of someone sending something recorded, had proof of delivery but the buyer still claimed he did not get it. Paypal then went and refunded the guy...

Top Bottom