What`s going on here?!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Hi all, hopefully somebody can give me a few tips:tongue:, I`ve been doing a good amount of cycling for the last 5-6 years now, and thouroughly love it (started at 27, now I`m 32). During this time I`ve mixed in just about everything, road, track, and off-road as I live within 5 minutes of Dartmoor. I do approx 100 miles during a normal week and then venture out on a Saturday and cover another 60/70 miles, leaving Sundays for a rest!!

The problem I have seems to have cropped up over the last 6 months or so in that I seem to be running 2 cyclinders short of the 4 when out on the bike and can`t pinpoint a reason. I eat a sensible diet, go to the gym 4 times a week for the upper body / core stuff, and sleep pretty well so any ideas whats going on?!! I cover the distances well enough but just seem to feel knackered before I even start a ride:angry:

jayce

not sure about that try a carb drink an hour before you go out might need an energy boost just before you ride. if you did not enjoy it then that would be the problem just cant be bothered ,but you like so ...have you tried vitamins .if not take a trip to the docs tell him the probs he could help

jimboalee

You are riding 100 miles each week through Devon + another 60 ish on Saturday?

You do gym stuff FOUR times each week on your upper body and abs?

You're OVERTRAINING.

Keep this up and you will degrade, which sounds like has already started.

You're 'sensible' diet should contain 1 g protein / kg bodyweight AND all the carbs you are using doing all this exercise EVERY DAY.
20 miles on a bike is 1000 kCals. A good upper body session could be another 500 kCals. Are you eating this much? - over and above the 2000 per day you should be eating?
And this is carbs alone, don't forget the protein :sad:

Ravenz

There is a slight slight possibility of 'over training' . . . depends on your intensity of training/activity... obviously overtraining is common enough for athletes to succomb to and coaches are always on the lookout for the 'signs'.. but even recreational people can suffer from it as well...
you wont have access to professional sports advice as do those who are in full time sport.. so being on your own.. you have to 'listen' to your body and react accordingly , otherwise you will perhaps go deeper downhill in performance.
Lack of performance is one symptom amongst many may I add...

I know it might be against the grain... but turn down the levels for 14 days or so and see if there is a difference.. you wont lose out on a gold medal chance just by doing that
I am of course making the assumption here that you are NOT an athlete .. apologies if you are..

by the way .. if you can't turn it down .. and feel guilty .. that's another symptom!

jimboalee

Try this.

Lie down on the floor for fifteen or so minutes.

Stand to attention and take your pulse.

If your heartrate increases by 10 - 15 BPM over two minutes, you are getting toward 'overtraining'.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Hi thanks for the replies. Overtraining seems to be a common link here, but nothing has really changed in the last 4 years or so, so would this have happenned earlier if it was my lifestyle / schedule?? I am careful with the carbs / protein and do make sure I get plenty of each ( I even use protein supplements every day).

I will try the heart rate test and see what happens.......

Top Bottom