What saddle???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
anyone ridden the brooks cambium? asked wiggle would they let me try before buy but they said no and of course it is not reduced anywhere. I saw it in Evans and looks very supportive...any views?

vickster

Legendary Member

Paul_T

I have Brooks on both my bikes. One was comfortable from day one and the other was literally a PIA for over a year and now it is great.

But some people never get on with Brooks saddles.
Hi Steve just searching through the threads regarding best saddles, I've had a B17, and now upgraded (if you can call it that) to a B67, for it being wider as I just can't get on with narrower (normal) saddles, but now finding this very hard after about 20 miles of riding. The saddle has probably covered around 300-400 miles, do you think this is enough to have "broken" it in?

Tojo

Über Member
I think If I did start a business in the cycle industry it would be making saddles....how do you know if its good for you unless you buy it and try it, I don't really want to remember how many saddles I've bought over the years and gave them to my mates to try cause I couldn't get away with them. the biggest bug is when you've spent quite a few quid on one and it didn't suit you and give it away for nowt and you're mate comes back and says cheers mate that's spot on......what can you say but your:welcome: :evil:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi Steve just searching through the threads regarding best saddles, I've had a B17, and now upgraded (if you can call it that) to a B67, for it being wider as I just can't get on with narrower (normal) saddles, but now finding this very hard after about 20 miles of riding. The saddle has probably covered around 300-400 miles, do you think this is enough to have "broken" it in?
The B17 and the B67 have the same top, unless your saddle was the B17n (Narrow) as for softening the best way is riding it and Proofide but it can take a while depending on the leather. Strangely I get on better with the narrower saddles with the comfort order being my B17n - the Swallow - Swift - B5n - B17special in that order but the one with the most mileage on it is the B17n on my Ridgeback Hybrid/tourer.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Paul, it is hard to say. Just keep at it for this season.

The Imperial I got has a split in the middle which laces together. I think that makes a big difference.

teddydove

My new giant TCR comes with a fizik arione but I don't think I have ever come across a more uncomfortable saddle and after about an hour it feels like my bits are on fire I think I need to change it out... What do you guys recommend.
Thanks in anticipation
annoyingly for me my most comfortable saddle cost about £5 does not look great,but is so comfortable,spent £100 on a Fizik,its like being sat on a brick

vickster

Legendary Member
They only measure sit bones, I wouldn't call it a fitting service

gmw492

Veteran
I had an unforgiving seat on my first bike a secteur,I then found Selle Italia X1 very good,but I guess it would of been after the Secteur saddle,I now have a Specialized Riva Gel saddle and it's so far the best,just personal option of mine but it's very comfy :okay:

bpsmith

Veteran
The shape is more important than the padding. I had a San Marco Era Dynamic on my Bianchi and really couldn't get on with it. Replaced with the Fizik Arione and no it's amazing.

The Arione is technically far less forgiving, padding wise, but still infinitely more comfortable than the San Marco.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I had the same problem with the Arione on my Focus Cayo as the OP. Absolute torture after 8 - 9 miles. I changed it for a Charge Spoon.
Bliss!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I never said he shouldn't look at them :smile:

From what I understand, if he wants a saddle that is comfortable from the get go, a brooks isn't it :smile:

Actually that's not my experience. My Brooks - couple of B17 & Team Pro were all perfectly comfortable immediately - and in normal trousers too. I've not bothered with special softening recipes. That said, not everyone has that experience - and with Brooks' Swift - it took a good while and even then wasn't great (for me) so I gave up on that one.

So, if you have a Brooksian arse (like wot I 'ave) should be fine from the off. If not, then it may or may not become comfy eventually

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think the Swallow Titanium is gorgeous but they're a bit pricy, mine was discounted down to £200 about 7 yrs ago. :eek:
EDIT - I've just had a look on the Brooks website and the 2007 limited edition is still available (mine is one of the 2005 LE ones but they're sold out) the only snag is it's price £590. :eek:(not a mistype) However the normal Swallow Titanium is a much more reasonable £290 :whistle:

'kinell . They seem to have changed their business model from moderately pricey but fair value kit for "serious cyclists" to being a "designer brand"
I should have stocked up when Spa were discounting their end of line Brooks range

Top Bottom