What should be our national anthem? Nominations please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
How about something really stirring for those podium appearances, and forget about lyrics altogether? :whistle:

Imagine the flag going up to Also Sprach Zarathustra!

That always means Apollo moon landings to me. I was 9, and allowed to stay up late to watch, and that was the music the BBC used to introduce the programmes...

sunnyjim

<sorry-haven't a-clue mode>
God Save The Queen to the tune of the Dambusters.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Flower Of Scotland all the way...... and as wind blows now and under the leadership of the most manipulating politician in UK who eats Osbourne & Cameron for breakfast every morning, our new national anthem will be Flower Of Scotland.

I used to like Flower Of Scotland, but now it bores me silly. If we get independence, then I suggest we compose something new instead.

Reactions: GBC

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The snips seem to be split on whether it should be 'Land of Hope & Glory', 'The Red Flag', or 'If You Hate the Fxxx English Clap Your Hands.'

I mean, Flower Of Scotland is actually just as dull as God Save The Queen, and it harks back negatively to the past too, Highland Cathedral is nice if played correctly, but is just as dull, and Scotland The Brave just sounds like a kiddies song a bit like Old MacDonald Had A Farm.

So, let's make something which is a bit better and shows we are looking forwards!

If you hate the fxxxing English Clap Your Hands need not apply, and I'll need to look the red flag up, but it too sounds ominous, sorry :laugh:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
This would do the job nicely :laugh:

byegad

Legendary Member
Jerusalem. Think outside the religious aspect of it, and it says all it should - "I'm going to do everything I can to make this country wonderful". Not powerful, or rich even, just wonderful.

Some time back I came up with a cyclist's version:

And did those wheels, in happy times,
Turn upon England's lanes so fast.
And was the chain, all lubed and clean,
over the sprockets smoothly passed.
And did the cranks, so smoothly spun,
propel us onwards, mile on mile.
Soothing the rider with their hum,
and on his face putting a smile.

Bring me my bike, my perfect wish.
Bring me my map, to find the way.
Bring me my shorts, Oh padded bliss!
And from my route I shall not stray.
I shall not cease from pedalling,
Alone or in a happy band,
'til we have built a cyclists' dream,
In England's green and pleasant land.

(for a national anthem, replace 'England's' with 'all our'.

If we wait long enough it will be England, Scotland is on the way out of the Union and Wales will follow. Northern Ireland may well decide to stay but in the end I think they'll leave too.

sunnyjim

If we wait long enough it will be England, Scotland is on the way out of the Union and Wales will follow. Northern Ireland may well decide to stay but in the end I think they'll leave too.

Then you'll want to persuade all the grey and unpleasant bits of England to leave as well.
I suspect the Master Plan is for Yorkshire to be the only bit left in.

Top Bottom