What should i be eating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Player

Hi all, i am new to the forum and would like to say Hi to everyone and say thanks for the warm welcome.

I consider myself to be pretty fit. I bike about 14 miles a day and attend the gym 3 times a week. I am a sucker for bread and i'm really trying to cut it down but don't know what to eat instead.

My main problem is i don't know how to balance carbs with protein. I have read you should have twice the ammount of carbs than protein.

My initial goal is to be lean with muscle but i don't want to be big and bulky the same as i don't want to be skinny (not much chance of that)

I'm 5f11 and weigh just over 14 stone. My frames medium and my doctor reckons i should be 11 and a half to 12. I think this would make me under weight.

Can some recommend some kind of a diet i can stick to, to get the results i want. At the moment i am trying to stick to the following:

breakfast: 2 whole meal slices of bread with 2 poached eggs and a few beans. A protein drink

At work: bowl of pasta and tuna with salsa sauce. 1 x banana

Tea: Meat and veg

If it's a gym day i have a protein shake before and after the gym instead of a meal.

Any help would be apreciated as i would love to know how to eat properly and if i knew that what i was eating would be benificial it would be easier to stick to. I need some new ideas as pasta gets sooooo boring.

Thanks for reading peeps :wacko:

Your diet looks pretty monotonous. You need to mix it up more, staying away from junk food. Get a good cook book.

dudi

5'11 at 12st wouldnt put you under-weight.
I'm 6'1" and have dropped from 14'12 to 11'13 since the new year and I dont seem underweight or emaciated at all.

Can't help on the food science thing though. I've always jus eaten whatever I wanted and worked it off/got fat afterwards...

My only advice is to eat a wide variety of foods. I'm fortunate in that my wife enjoys cooking, and cook books. so I get quite varied meals in the evening, but when left to my own devices it's proddige and ham sarnies all the way...

Best of luck with the weight loss, and I would imagine that you will end up lean and mean within a year if you stick to it...

yenrod

Player said:
Hi all, i am new to the forum and would like to say Hi to everyone and say thanks for the warm welcome.

I consider myself to be pretty fit. I bike about 14 miles a day and attend the gym 3 times a week. I am a sucker for bread and i'm really trying to cut it down but don't know what to eat instead.

My main problem is i don't know how to balance carbs with protein. I have read you should have twice the ammount of carbs than protein.

My initial goal is to be lean with muscle but i don't want to be big and bulky the same as i don't want to be skinny (not much chance of that)

I'm 5f11 and weigh just over 14 stone. My frames medium and my doctor reckons i should be 11 and a half to 12. I think this would make me under weight.

Can some recommend some kind of a diet i can stick to, to get the results i want. At the moment i am trying to stick to the following:

breakfast: 2 whole meal slices of bread with 2 poached eggs and a few beans. A protein drink

At work: bowl of pasta and tuna with salsa sauce. 1 x banana

Tea: Meat and veg

If it's a gym day i have a protein shake before and after the gym instead of a meal.

Any help would be apreciated as i would love to know how to eat properly and if i knew that what i was eating would be benificial it would be easier to stick to. I need some new ideas as pasta gets sooooo boring.

Thanks for reading peeps :biggrin:

I personally would lighten the b.fast with a cereal and toast..other than that looks good to me.

Dont forget the vegetables - something Ive paid attetion to recently !

Bigtallfatbloke

..my filossofee is to eat wtf I want ...but I tend to want to eat carbs before a ride and protien after a ride, always with lots of water and green tea. I try to cut out bread as it bloats my stomache, porrideg everyday for brekky, then ride , then some ham, tuna, eggs anything like that...then dinner later which is usually a healthy home cooked dinner from the mrs...lots of salad etc

Big no goes 4 me are fry ups, cheese and booze....but I do all those once in a blue moon still, then ride twice as far the next day.

OP
OP
P

Player

Thanks for all your advice. It's pointed me a bit more in the right direction. I need to have a bit more variety me thinks.
I had bran flakes this morning which wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be, and have red salmon on wholemeal bread :bicycle:
I thought the best time to eat was in the morning hence the eggs and beans on toast but to be honest i sometimes feel podged which effects my cycle to work. I felt a hell of a lot better this morning and gave it my all resulting in me having a good quick run to work :hyper:
As for the gym i do, do more reps and not so much weight as my mate. I also go swimming too.
Thanks for all the advice guys, this has certainly gave me something to think about.

Thanks

John

OP
OP
P

Player

Bigtallfatbloke said:
..my filossofee is to eat wtf I want ...but I tend to want to eat carbs before a ride and protien after a ride, always with lots of water and green tea. I try to cut out bread as it bloats my stomache, porrideg everyday for brekky, then ride , then some ham, tuna, eggs anything like that...then dinner later which is usually a healthy home cooked dinner from the mrs...lots of salad etc

Big no goes 4 me are fry ups, cheese and booze....but I do all those once in a blue moon still, then ride twice as far the next day.

Are you really a big tall fat bloke, big tall fat bloke? :bicycle:

Bigtallfatbloke

Are you really a big tall fat bloke, big tall fat bloke?

..no, not compared to what I used to be. Today i am 6' 3" and 95 kilos which is around 15/4 I think.

I still want to lose another stone or two though...but it's these two that are toughest...the last 6 stone were easy.

OP
OP
P

Player

Bigtallfatbloke said:
..no, not compared to what I used to be. Today i am 6' 3" and 95 kilos which is around 15/4 I think.

I still want to lose another stone or two though...but it's these two that are toughest...the last 6 stone were easy.

I find that when i get to 13 and a half it's really tough loosing more. The best i have got to was 13s 3lbs.

You have done well to loose that much. One question, what kind of stuff was you doing/not doing to be that weight in the first place?

gratts

You mentioned wholemeal bread, but cut out any processed, refined junk..i.e white bread, white pasta and white rice and replace with brown or wholemeal. It's a helluva lot better. :welcome:

OP
OP
P

Player

gratts said:
You mentioned wholemeal bread, but cut out any processed, refined junk..i.e white bread, white pasta and white rice and replace with brown or wholemeal. It's a helluva lot better. ;)
I have replaced bread with brown and pasta with wholemeal pasta and i'm not enjoying the pasta. The bread i'm fine with. I need some pasta idea's and some rice dish idea's :biggrin:

Top Bottom