what should i buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ivo.M

arallsopp said:
I find the Furai lovely to ride. Lovely, lovely, lovely ACK!-Foot-in-the-front-wheel-again lovely, lovely. The Acks are getting rarer now.

Thank God.

So the Furai is sort of Hurricane lovely?

:biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I think the heel strike risk on the Furai means it presents a steeper learning curve than the hurricane.
I joined the curve part way up already, having performed daily commutes on the SMGTe for 6 months prior to purchase.
If I couldn't confidently pull away in a straight line on the latter, I suspect I would not have been able to repeat the trick on the Furai.

For me, the Furai is the closest feel to the SMGTe I learned on, without the +8kg weight penalty.
As such, it fitted my needs pretty much exactly.

I now ride both regularly, and find I instinctively avoid pedal / wheel positioning on either, using rules learnt from the Furai. That the SMGTe doesn't have this issue is excess information for my addled brain.
I still can't get more than 10ft down the road with OSS though. I've seen it done, but Lord alone knows what arcane trickery is involved.

Bents are odd beasts, but IMHO, if confidence is high enough, almost any from the major stables can be made to suit. It took me a few months to get my average on the Furai above SMGTe speeds for the same terrain (major hills, lots of stops, traffic) but now I'm through it, my speed (at longer distances) is well up.
Little difference between them for the first 20 miles, next 100 swing it toward the Furai, final 100 are strictly Furai only.

Top Bottom