What should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kins

Über Member
Bought a Giant SCR 2 from Fleabay and it arrived today. Bike was pretty dirty so as I put it back together I was cleaning it until I got to the chainrings. The largest one has been knackered. Looks like he has damaged it on the floor while taking the pedals off. 7 teeth in a row look like right angles.

Do you reckon I have a case for cost of replacement or do I just have to bite the bullet and spend £30-40 on a new ring?

8492671180_07d7480455_z.jpg

8492695744_e7ccb69f6c_z.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would contact the seller and see what his response is 1st, he may take all the guesswork out of it by offering to sort it out.

tadpole

Yes you have a case for the cost of replacement, but whether or not you'll get it, ebay the buyer and expain, tell hime what is wrong, and the cost of fixing it, then haggle. If he's not up for anything, then report it to ebay as sold not as described

OP
OP
Kins

Kins

Über Member
Replacement costs £35 + postage for crank set so not to bad. Seems he has some old stock to clear. http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/39803/T...s/product/Truvative-Touro-Chainset-Silver.jpg

Bloke has replied and says he is insured so see where it leads us. Pissed off though as I wanted to get out on it for a blast this evening. :sad:

Just checked the box and there is absolutely no damage to it, especially underneath where you would expect the teeth to have been protruding to damage them like that. So now what? Do I tell him its not the courier?

Kies

yes be honest and put the onnus back on him. be polite but firm throughout your ebay emails (that way you have a record of all conversations), if he doesn't pay up for the chain ring, i would raise a dispute with Ebay.
doesn't stop you buying a new chain ring and putting the bike to use - once he agrees - bill him the replacement cost

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
He is responsible for the item until you take delivery, so even if it is damaged in transit, the onus is on him to make things right. The insurance contract is between himself and the postage company and he claims back his costs in compensating you. The insurance is completely irrelevant to you, this is his concern.

MarkF

Guru
All but one of my bikes have been second hand. Generally, I've been lucky/happy but it's amazing how people's perception of simple words regarding condition, differ. That is "known" damage and should have been mentioned.Tell him about the box condition and I think you'll be sorted, he's already committed to dialogue.

Last "mint" bike I bought from a cycle forum....... took me a weekend's slog to make my interpretation of "mint". ^_^

I agree with contacting the seller first. Then if you are still not happy you can always open a case against him, and see what they say.

Do you need to replace the full crankset? What about just changing the outer ring?

Top Bottom