What single work of creation would you remove from the world?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
...by concocting a new set of religions.

. Even atheists feel moved to recreate some of the artefacts of religion in their own form.
No they don't.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
No they don't.
Really? Such as?

The most obvious: https://cosmicshambles.com/ninelessons and https://www.sundayassembly.com/story. Explicit attempts to recreate "church" without God.

Going away from the obvious (for those of us who live in a country with a Christian-based culture) - most religions have prophets and holy texts, and a priesthood who are the only people with the arcane knowledge necessary to interpret those texts - and usually ways for the ordinary person to attain that knowledge. They often also have founding figures who had the initial revelation, a shared set of stories - often ones about the founding figures which the founding figures might find a little surprising, and foundations and institutions set up to spread the word. All of this contributes towards a sense of community, either expressed through regular meetings or through self-definition as different from other groups of believers.

Prophets: Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchins, Daniel Dennett
Holy Texts: The Origin of Species, The Blind Watchmaker, The God Delusion, God is not Great, Why God does not Exist
Priesthood: Anyone with a PhD in a science-based subject who is willing to stand up and talk about religion, often without a great deal of knowledge of the subject.
Ways to attain that knowledge: degrees in science
Founding figures: Galileo Galilei, Charles Darwin
Stories: "Eppur si muove", Darwin delaying publication of Origin of Species, supposed silencing of atheists, "Religion is the source of all evil", "Religious wars have been deadly"
Foundations: Dawkins foundation, Humanist associations, Rationalist association, Secular Society
Self-definition as different: I refer the honourable members to the refrain throughout the thread...

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The most obvious: https://cosmicshambles.com/ninelessons and https://www.sundayassembly.com/story. Explicit attempts to recreate "church" without God.

Going away from the obvious (for those of us who live in a country with a Christian-based culture) - most religions have prophets and holy texts, and a priesthood who are the only people with the arcane knowledge necessary to interpret those texts - and usually ways for the ordinary person to attain that knowledge. They often also have founding figures who had the initial revelation, a shared set of stories - often ones about the founding figures which the founding figures might find a little surprising, and foundations and institutions set up to spread the word. All of this contributes towards a sense of community, either expressed through regular meetings or through self-definition as different from other groups of believers.

Prophets: Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchins, Daniel Dennett
Holy Texts: The Origin of Species, The Blind Watchmaker, The God Delusion, God is not Great, Why God does not Exist
Priesthood: Anyone with a PhD in a science-based subject who is willing to stand up and talk about religion, often without a great deal of knowledge of the subject.
Ways to attain that knowledge: degrees in science
Founding figures: Galileo Galilei, Charles Darwin
Stories: "Eppur si muove", Darwin delaying publication of Origin of Species, supposed silencing of atheists, "Religion is the source of all evil", "Religious wars have been deadly"
Foundations: Dawkins foundation, Humanist associations, Rationalist association, Secular Society
Self-definition as different: I refer the honourable members to the refrain throughout the thread...
That sounds like the sort of response I'd have got from a Jehovah's Witness I used to work with.:laugh:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That sounds like the sort of response I'd have got from a Jehovah's Witness I used to work with.:laugh:
I hope your response to him had rather more content than "that sounds like the sort of response I'd have got from a bloke off the internet."

Feel free to provide a substantive answer.

I have decided, on one thing that could be safely removed without negative consequences, and obvious benefits. Chewing gum.

Without the option of endlessly chewing gum Alex Ferguson may have been unable to control his foul temper most of the time.

This may have affected David Beckham’s development as a footballer who may not have become as famous.

Which may have meant that he never would have had the opportunity to meet Posh Spice.

Which means she wouldn’t have been distracted by him and the Spice Girls would never have broke up.

Which means the Spice Girls would still be together and releasing records.

DO YOU WANT THAT ON YOUR CONSCIENCE??!!

:stop:

I thought not.

Remind me never to let you have a go in my time machine. Too dangerous.

Graham

Top Bottom