What single work of creation would you remove from the world?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I have an idea for Big Brother. You get the people in the BB House but don't broadcast it at all. You then have the evictions with crowd noises outside and one by one the contestants leave, only to find that outside there is no crowd, no car, no nothing, just them and their wheely suitcase and they have to get home with no money. That's the bit you film and broadcast.
I really ought to get round to pitching it to the company what own the rights before one of you steal my idea.

Been done, albeit fictionally and with added gore and plot twists.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Eye

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We don't know that for sure. Our capacity for creating tyrannical regimes is not confined to religion based.

One can make a good argument that Naziism, Soviet Communism, and Pol Potism are religions. Not to say all tyrannies are religious in nature, since many are mere gangsterism, but some of the worst have many religious aspects

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For much of my life I would have proposed Elgar's Enigma Variations; specificall Nimrod. This is because every day at school for three years this was played as we marched into assembly. I was utterly sick of it, as well as finding school assemblies to be utterly miserable affairs, so there was that pavlovian association too. I once went to a play Death and the Maiden, which is about a victim of torture in South America forever associating Schubert's Death and the Maiden with her ordeal since her interogators played it whilst she was being tortured and the parallel did occur to me.

Over 40 years later I can now bear listening to it and generally quite like Elgar, but there is still that memory

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
For much of my life I would have proposed Elgar's Enigma Variations....
Nobody has ever figured out the source for the Enigma Variations main theme.
However, I have a theory that could stand up.
Edgar was a keen cyclist and used to do many miles around Worcestershire and Herefordshire. Along the way, he must have observed birds sitting on the open wire telephone lines alongside the roads and thought - ' Hmmm....that's like a musical stave!'
He probably hummed out the tunes they represented, to amuse himself as he cycled along, until one day he stumbled across the famous theme, played out by a load of Starlings.
Well.....It's as good a theory as any other.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I have an idea for Big Brother. You get the people in the BB House but don't broadcast it at all. You then have the evictions with crowd noises outside and one by one the contestants leave, only to find that outside there is no crowd, no car, no nothing, just them and their wheely suitcase and they have to get home with no money. That's the bit you film and broadcast.
I really ought to get round to pitching it to the company what own the rights before one of you steal my idea.
Isn't that roughly what happened to "Eden" on C4?

srw

Im sure mankind would have coped.
...by concocting a new set of religions.

Religion is as close to a universal human impulse as exists. Even atheists feel moved to recreate some of the artefacts of religion in their own form.

srw

One can make a good argument that Naziism, Soviet Communism, and Pol Potism are religions. Not to say all tyrannies are religious in nature, since many are mere gangsterism, but some of the worst have many religious aspects
and as for free market economics....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have decided, on one thing that could be safely removed without negative consequences, and obvious benefits. Chewing gum.
Noooo!
Chewing gum is an essential part of my working-life! After a day in the lab or factory it's a life-saver, freshening the breath, cleaning the mouth, removing the residues of that fried food taste. Nothing else cuts-it like chewing gum.

Top Bottom