What the hell??!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
So all these stories of wasps just stinging people for no reason, I mean, sorry, but, WTAF??

To be fair, I know there is more than one species of them and the second lot are more agressive, but, still!

It may be easy for me to say, but, GET A F*****G GRIP PEOPLE!! :giggle:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
People who get annoyed about wasps annoy me CONSIDERABLY MORE than the actual wasps themselves.

Then again, I am a misanthropist, so if you all died over night, I wouldn't be so bothered.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I don't know whether I give off a really nasty odour (careful you lot!!), but Wasps and Bees never bother me, in fact, I see them making the effort to fly around me!!

Seriously though, I have only been stung 3 times in my life, one by a bee, and two by wasps..... But they were all my own fault!!

I could live in the middle of a wasps nest and be ok!

Me too...three times stung, I mean...when I was at school, I saw a low flying dazed queen bee and she looked all snuggly so I decided to catch her in my hands to have a feel...turned out she felt like ouch...then when I was a bit older I was sat on a park bench, captivated by a rainbow. I had enough space between the ground and my feet to swing my legs around and I felt this tiny little nudge on the back of my leg, then a sting on the other, having pee'd a wasp off...the last one was at Peppa Pig world, sat on one of the most boring rides imaginable, when I decided, for no reason at all, to grab the 'safety' rail and there was a wasp perched on there, so it stung me as well.

On the subject of strange things in toilets though...I was once having a wee in a public toilet and this little poo came shooting through the u-bend into my toilet. I was like :ohmy: I actually thought I'd wee'd a poo for a moment.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Seriously though, even at school, I would let wasps land on me, and they never once stung me. I used to impress the other kids with it!!
Yeah, my wife does that. If a bee or a wasp is stuck at a window she holds out her hand for them to land on it, then walks outside so they can fly off

buggi

Bird Saviour
Well if we're on wasp stories, found a wasps' nest in the attic some years back, so mentioned to the Mrs that I was off to B&Q for the spray wasp killer stuff, only to be told in no uncertain terms that I wasn't to touch it, and she would phone the council pest control people. A day later, was informed she'd phoned the council and the council lady had said ", why don't you just get a can of that spray stuff from B&Q", so back to my plan A it was.

Since wasps in large numbers are quite intimidating, I'd ensured a clear exit down from the attic, with all doors open so I could run down the ladder, down the stairs and out into the garden, with no trip-hazards on the way. Went as close as I dared, spray - at which point the nest disintegrated so I dropped the can and scarpered PDQ, all the way out into the garden. After 10 minutes, carefully started into the house - no buzzing, upstairs - nothing, up the ladder, nothing.
No wasps, disintegrated nest, no corpses - no-one home basically.

I subsequently learned that wasps, unlike bees, abandon their nests in the winter, so it was just an empty shell. All that adrenaline for nothing.
Not for nothing, they can return to nest sites and build more!!

Debade

Über Member
If you do treat for wasps, they DO NOT fly at night. Wait until night, darker the better, and treat the nest with virtually any pesticide. Be sure they are wasps and not bees. Bees are very important to our food supply. We need more of them now. But having said all this, I agree with the people who have posted, if they are not bothering you, no need to bother them.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

If you do treat for wasps, they DO NOT fly at night. Wait until night, darker the better, and treat the nest with virtually any pesticide. Be sure they are wasps and not bees. Bees are very important to our food supply. We need more of them now. But having said all this, I agree with the people who have posted, if they are not bothering you, no need to bother them.
You sure? After dark they swarm around the street lights that are nearest the tree with the nest in.............

Debade

Über Member
You sure? After dark they swarm around the street lights that are nearest the tree with the nest in.............
oops, my USA experience. I guess there is a European wasp that flies at night.

I witnessed a 'test' where wasps were placed in a bird cage. When the cage was covered. you could hear the wasps landing on mass in the cage. They simply 'plopped'. While the entomologists identified this behavior, it was convincing to witness it. From the web:
Day Dwellers
  • Wasps use the sun to orient themselves; they can't see without light. Flying at night amounts to flying blindly, which even an insect would recognize as dangerous and counterproductive, but a bright light might be enough to draw it out again. The wasp's aversion to flying at night is so universal, however, that many pest control companies treat wasp problems after dark because they know where to find the stinging insects, which are generally sluggish at this time and confined to their nests.
Night Flyer
  • The European hornet, a large wasp at 1 1/2 inches long, flies at night and actually hunts prey in the dark. It eats large insects such as grasshoppers, bees, flies and yellow jackets, as well as tree sap and fruit. Although more than willing to fly in the dark, the European hornet is attracted to lights, such as those on porches, campsites and other populated places.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8155132_wasps-fly-night.html

buggi

Bird Saviour
People get stung by wasps bcoz they after scared and try to flap them away. I used to be scared and would always kill them. Then I read how important they are (we would be 9 miles deep in cabbage aphid within a year, or something like that, without them) so I decided to give them a break and tolerate them. Since then I have trained myself to be calm around them and hey presto nothing bad has happened.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Only because they are annoyed when it comes on. I once had a wasps nest outside my house which I didn't know about. One night my dog had the trots, so I put her in the garden and put the security light on for her. The light was next to the nest, and all of a sudden there was this really angry buzzing. I knew straight away it wasn't bees and I looked up to see a swarm of wasps attacking the security light. Boy, were they mad!!! Even worse, my bathroom window, which was in close proximity was open (hot summer night), and my bathroom light was on. Lets just say,I didn't get to back to bed for a couple of hours!!

The nest was dealt with within 48 hours which I now regret after reading up on wasps and realising that actually they hadn't even bothered me before I discovered them by "attacking" their nest and ruining their nights sleep.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
People get stung by wasps bcoz they after scared and try to flap them away. I used to be scared and would always kill them. Then I read how important they are (we would be 9 miles deep in cabbage aphid within a year, or something like that, without them) so I decided to give them a break and tolerate them. Since then I have trained myself to be calm around them and hey presto nothing bad has happened.

Indeed, humans are stupid, but I feel smug as I realised wasps were ok as a kid! :tongue::laugh:

jack smith

Veteran
Bees wasps and other insects always seemed to come to me so i actually got checked out as i was getting stung near everyday in the summer to the point i stopped Leaving the house apparently its something to do with sugars in my sweat or some rubbish so i always use strong repellant from america now. ive mastered punching them out of the sky now though im like chuck norris when wasps are about! I even shot a wasp in mid flight once muhaha :gun::gun: bees i dont kill if i can help it but the buggers still sting me!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
But hey, I think 95% of the poulation are stupid anyway (I don't include myself in this as I at least have an excuse. Others don't).
I got stung by one as a kid, but possibly coz it was under my knee and I crossed my legs.
My brother also got stung, but possibly coz he was "shooting" it with a cap gun.

I realised when I was stung it was entirely my own fault. Just a pity others can't see that.

Glad to see you have been rehabilitated now, but hey, I bet the general population annoy you as much as they do me with their complete stupidity over the subject.

Oh and don't even get me started on Spiders!

Last edited:
Top Bottom