What to buy 1980/1990 race bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
My latest eBay purchase!

On image 2 with the holes - can this be converted to take a bottle holder neatly please?

sun 1.JPG
sun 2.JPG
sun 3.JPG

Attachments

• sun 3.JPG
    sun 3.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 20

carpenter

Über Member
Drill out damaged braze ons a bit and then fit a rivet nut?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkPhGIaPCVs

carpenter

Über Member
No; I had a look at your photograph of the frame and looked up ways of fitting a water bottle without braze on. They all looked a bit naff (to me) and seem to involve tie wraps, so I looked up ways of adding on fixings (wife and daughters in London today at a spa, so plenty of time on my hands) - I was rather taken with the video :smile: although not sure how well it will work with a curved profile.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
No; I had a look at your photograph of the frame and looked up ways of fitting a water bottle without braze on. They all looked a bit naff (to me) and seem to involve tie wraps, so I looked up ways of adding on fixings (wife and daughters in London today at a spa, so plenty of time on my hands) - I was rather taken with the video :smile: although not sure how well it will work with a curved profile.

A few years ago I damaged the frame by the cage mounts on my mtb so I looked in Decathlon and they did a rubber strap cage mount and I bought one and it worked very well, so I looked just now and I see they still do them, they are only about £3 so I might get one of them and then see if I can find bike shop that might drill the frame? :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
On my Triumph the stem is too short I measured it from the centre of the bolt to the centre of the handlebars ( 35mm ) is that right or do I measure it a different way? The width is 22.2 and the bars size is 25.4 so that's ok
I have seen some on ebay but it wants to be at least 70 or 80mm if I have measured it right?

midlife

Guru
BITD roadsters never had any sort of length to the stem, usually the long wheelbase meant none was needed.

Have you changed the bars?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
On my Triumph the stem is too short I measured it from the centre of the bolt to the centre of the handlebars ( 35mm ) is that right or do I measure it a different way? The width is 22.2 and the bars size is 25.4 so that's ok
I have seen some on ebay but it wants to be at least 70 or 80mm if I have measured it right?

I had the same issue with the Hercules and Raleigh Lenton i have so ended up using a stem with the correct length i wanted and then bars to suit

Top Bottom