What to buy 1980/1990 race bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^^^^ it is ^^^

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Couple of more questions..

I have greased the bearings and they have all gone back in but on the c spanner side I have done the thread up finger tight plus half a turn with the screwdriver and hammer is that about right or should it be tighter or looser?
Second question.
The pins that hold the pedals on have a flat side but one of my flat side has a ridge in it so does that go to the chain side or c spanner side or don't it matter?
It might sound strange questions but parts of these was loose when I got the bike?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
The pedals have different direction of threads and will only fit on the correct side.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/pedals.html

See under pedal threading :smile:

Bottom brackets with cups and cones can be a bit of a pain,

Sheldon again :smile:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbadj.html

Very hard to explain as I have googled and still can't find what I mean..

When you put the crank on to the spindle there is a flat sided pin that you push in and then put a washer on and then tighten up a bolt. Well the two pins have flat sides but I have one with a rim on it.
Don't know if that helps but if not I will take a photo tomorrow as that might explain it better than I can.. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
do you mean cotter pins..
.. View attachment 454283

Now I googled cotter pin and came up with something different altogether that's why I never said cotter pin. lol
But that's what I mean.... now on the two pins I have one is flat sided and the other is flat sided with a ridge half way down, will it make any difference which side I put them?

midlife

Guru
The ridge on the flat side is usually if the crank and cotter pin has been loose and a ridge formed. You need a new cotter pin. They come in a couple of sizes and sometimes need filing. There is a convention as to which way up they go

Nut at the top with the crank pointing forward iirc

Legnano_GS_Crank_1.jpg

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
The ridge on the flat side is usually if the crank and cotter pin has been loose and a ridge formed. You need a new cotter pin. They come in a couple of sizes and sometimes need filing. There is a convention as to which way up they go

Nut at the top with the crank pointing forward iirc

View attachment 454293

That's just what I wanted to know cheers.... so I will get a couple more.:smile:

Top Bottom