What to buy 1980/1990 race bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
looks like a Raleigh Merlin. eBay's algorithms' throw up a couple more town bikes in Kent including this early 80's Raleigh. Town bikes can often be in good condition because people would be them with the intention getting fit and then leave them sitting in garages unused. The thing to be aware of is that steel rims don't like stopping in the wet.

I could have a look for some other wheels if that's the case.. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Got a problem.
Just fitting the rear brake back on the bike and its jamming.
If your standing at the back of the bike looking at the saddle the left hand brake is locked on to the wheel rim. I have loosened it and turned the caliper clock wise then re tightened but the left brake just locks on to the wheel?
Got any ideas?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Need advice with the Triumph.
Do you think the wheel will clean up, and the handle bar post is right out to the limit, how's the best way to lower it to a normal level?

Tr a.JPG
Tr b.JPG

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Slacken the nut at the top of the stem , it might need a gentle tap then set height as required but don't forget to re tighten .

I should think that will clean up nicely with some chrome cleaner .

OK good one.. I shall do that when my spanners arrive. :smile:

nonowt

Über Member
Yep, the wheels will be chrome and should clean up well with the tinfoil trick followed by autosol.

Mrs Nonowt had a nice blue ladies versions of the Traffic Master - she loved it. Unfortunately I persuaded her to swop it for a falcon Westminster which she hates! There will be a frame number on the back of the seat tube which will date it. The number after the two letters will be the year (i.e. 6 = 1976).

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Yep, the wheels will be chrome and should clean up well with the tinfoil trick followed by autosol.

Mrs Nonowt had a nice blue ladies versions of the Traffic Master - she loved it. Unfortunately I persuaded her to swop it for a falcon Westminster which she hates! There will be a frame number on the back of the seat tube which will date it. The number after the two letters will be the year (i.e. 6 = 1976).

I will check again when the light is better but it seems to be NP 0010001 which don't make sense..lol :smile:

Top Bottom