What to buy 1980/1990 race bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
Good prices on Panaracer Pasela here:

https://www.bike24.com/search?q=panaracer

Recently bought a pair of 27 x 1 1/8 amber wall for about £30

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have been thinking in the last day or so that I would like to learn how to do BB's so with the older bikes Raleigh/ Pug etc what are the tools I should need?

Tricky what to suggest as quite a few variations , but try a pr of bent needle nose pliers , a big 14 mm or close nut and bolt with spring and flat washers to suit , water pump pliers , hooked spanner and if you can find one a spanner to fit across the flats on the drive side cup then add as you go along

Tricky what to suggest as quite a few variations , but try a pr of bent needle nose pliers , a big 14 mm or close nut and bolt with spring and flat washers to suit , water pump pliers , hooked spanner and if you can find one a spanner to fit across the flats on the driveside cup then add as you go along
This my favourite BB tool, 6kg of pure joy. I call it Molnir (obviously).
copper_hammer_322.jpg

Recently my cycle mechanic mate genuinely asked what it was used for. I of course said: "Twatting things!"
I got my 14mm bolt stuck in a frame last year and I haven't managed to get it out yet. Keep meaning to take it to said friend to use his vice but not got round to it1

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Tricky what to suggest as quite a few variations , but try a pr of bent needle nose pliers , a big 14 mm or close nut and bolt with spring and flat washers to suit , water pump pliers , hooked spanner and if you can find one a spanner to fit across the flats on the drive side cup then add as you go along

How many mm is the flats on the drive side I tried to measure it but the best I could see it would be either 36 or 38 mm.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Morning men..

Sorry I put this here as I have only just seen the other thread on whats for sale on ebay etc, I will remember next time.

The guy at the shop said my Peugeot was about 22l23 inch and its at the higher end so there's not a lot of stand over room but just enough. I have sent a message and asked him to give me the stand over height on the one in the ad and he will do that today?
Is that the right place for the gear changer lever to be?

nonowt

Über Member
looks like a Raleigh Merlin. eBay's algorithms' throw up a couple more town bikes in Kent including this early 80's Raleigh. Town bikes can often be in good condition because people would be them with the intention getting fit and then leave them sitting in garages unused. The thing to be aware of is that steel rims don't like stopping in the wet.

Top Bottom