What to do with 25 year old GT MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dfthe1

APC_0304-hdr.jpg

APC_0253-hdr.jpg

Not sure this counts as 'vintage' 'classic' but it's 25 years old!

Inspired by the thread about bikes you've had nicked, I just picked up a second (at least) hand replica of the first bike I ever had from new, which was then stolen from our shed -- a 1992 GT Outpost. Not a great bike, but lots of nostalgia for me.

Took it for a quick shake down ride and the rear gear cable exploded and the left hand crank fell off within minutes. I also now remember how crap the Suntour gear shifters were.

So I bought it as a project but not sure what to do with it.

I'm considering:

-- complete overhaul with modern gears/brakes etc. and keep as a fun bike for trails
-- convert to fixie or single speed for commuting (are the dropouts suitable?)
-- convert to touring/utility bike with racks etc.

What do you reckon? Any other ideas? Any tips or advice on any of the above?

Thanks!

Drago

Legendary Member
Clean it up, ride it.

Altus rear mech in black dates it c.1995-6ish.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have a similar vintage GT Tequesta which is my do it all bike. It has full mudguards, slick tyres, rack etc. Yours could be similar, which is what I'd do. The brakes will be fine with new pads and adjusted properly, the shifters will work, but you could upgrade if you really want. Overall, MTBs of that era are great bikes, the frames are sound and last forever, without the complexities of suspension.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
New cables, true the wheels, new chain. Chain rings look a bit worn so maybe replacement 2nd hand chainset and check the cassette for wear. Check the head & wheel bearings, regrease if required. You're ready to go.

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

Thanks all. Biggest job, I think, will be freeing the seized seatpost....

Do I need to worry about rust spots on the frame where the paint has chipped? Want to keep the original paintwork but will the rust spread?

Drago

Legendary Member
Get some Bar Keepers Friend. It contains oxalic acid, which is deadly to rust but is otherwise quite mild so won't harm paint, decals etc. You can then touch in the chips with paint or nail varnish, or clear lacquer or varnish if you can't get a decent match.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Do I need to worry about rust spots on the frame where the paint has chipped? Want to keep the original paintwork but will the rust spread?
Oh dear, that seat post may be a real problem, looks like steel. If you can't remove it it may render the frame junk. Think there's a few bids on YouTube offering advice.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Unless the seat post is at the right height for you than i would hold off from doing to much till its free to move

Top Bottom