What to do with a E-bike nobber

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
It's no different to the blokes on scrambler motorbikes that i see on cyclepaths. i report via 101 and I know the police would love to catch them - obviously it's difficult for them to be in the right place at the right time. I must admit I get sick of reporting them & tend to avoid the places they're most likely to be.

I've nearly been hit by some of them & dread to think what the outcome will be if they meet a toddler on the path. That's why I continue to report them - at least if something does happen it's not because I ignored it :sad:

If this bloke is in the same place everyday he should be easier to track down.

The big difference is this is a silent peril.
Its a dont need to pedal ebike so basically he has a quick pedal to get it moving then the motor does the rest.

You only hear him when he's about 3 metres behind you..jump out your skin surprise!!
Think electric cars, silent bar tyre noise.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Find out where he works and write to his employer.

D

Deleted member 26715

Went passed McDonald's the other Sunday morning, okay I admit it I called in for a Sausage McMuffin, in the car park was 2 unmarked Police cars, 1 Transit type van, 2 marked Police cars, 2 Police marked quads, 2 Police marked off road motorbikes & about 10-12 officers not quite sure where they were going to target suspect an area of the old pit top frequented by lads on crossers.

icowden

Veteran
If you have got some sort of camera, I think it would be worth getting footage and submitting it to the force. If you keep submitting, sooner or later they will send someone out to lie in wait, especially if you can demonstrate that its a regular occurrence at the same time of day.

Drago

Legendary Member
Went passed McDonald's the other Sunday morning, okay I admit it I called in for a Sausage McMuffin, in the car park was 2 unmarked Police cars, 1 Transit type van, 2 marked Police cars, 2 Police marked quads, 2 Police marked off road motorbikes & about 10-12 officers not quite sure where they were going to target suspect an area of the old pit top frequented by lads on crossers.
Perish the thought that a bobby takes the refreshment break he's lawfully entitled to.

Despite the Home Office encouraging officers to do so, I never took my refs in public because of judgemental people who think that officers should go 12 hours without eating.

D

Deleted member 26715

Perish the thought that a bobby takes the refreshment break he's lawfully entitled to.

Despite the Home Office encouraging officers to do so, I never took my refs in public because of judgemental people who think that officers should go 12 hours without eating.
It's interesting that you took that view from what I put, I had never considered it, to me it was a logical meeting place on the bypass on the edge of town so that all the arrivees could get there easily as I suspect it was a joint operation potentially from different forces.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru

I don't think that was inferred mr @Drago
He was thinking about a purge of pit bike riders ,another menace we have.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you have got some sort of camera, I think it would be worth getting footage and submitting it to the force. If you keep submitting, sooner or later they will send someone out to lie in wait, especially if you can demonstrate that its a regular occurrence at the same time of day.

Possible with my dash cam..
I could record him with that but wether that would give any real proof? He wears a yellow coat and a woolly hat , but accessing speed ? Behaviour? it's a bit difficult, I think a copper with a speed gun would be the ideal solution..proof and then the illegal bike, court and confiscation.

D

Deleted member 26715

Paint tin & a tape measure, white line at start white line in 100 metres, film him between the 2 lines, from the display work out the speed.

I am very surprised that you cannot buy speed guns, or there isn't an app for a phone, I see hundreds of situations where one would be useful.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I agree with reporting to police etc but in the interests of conversation, I will play devils advocate.

If this guy was riding a normal bike at 25nph but slowing down where the blind spots are, would that be ok?
Does the guy on the speed derestricted e-bike slow down for the blind spots?
Is this a problem of e-bikes, or just not slowing down at appropriate times, regardless of bike type?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wouldn't worry too much about recording his speed.

Apart from anything else, there is no marked speed limit on a path for him to break.

Footage of him whizzing past - if you can get it safely - should be enough.

Likely charge is wanton and furious cycling, or possibly one of the Road Traffic Act offences such as careless or dangerous driving.

It will be up to the court - almost certainly a panel of three magistrates - to decide if the charge is made out.

Which it will be - if your footage clearly demonstrates he is riding irresponsibly.

D

Deleted member 26715

If this guy was riding a normal bike at 25nph but slowing down where the blind spots are, would that be ok?
I suspect not
Does the guy on the speed derestricted e-bike slow down for the blind spots?
I suspect not
Is this a problem of e-bikes, or just not slowing down at appropriate times, regardless of bike type?
Yes, there are some right arrogant self righteous cyclists out there, although I suspect when they become a pedestrian, driver, co-worker their attitude doesn't change

Top Bottom