What to do with a E-bike nobber

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Went passed McDonald's the other Sunday morning, okay I admit it I called in for a Sausage McMuffin, in the car park was 2 unmarked Police cars, 1 Transit type van, 2 marked Police cars, 2 Police marked quads, 2 Police marked off road motorbikes & about 10-12 officers not quite sure where they were going to target suspect an area of the old pit top frequented by lads on crossers.
Nah - they were only there for the donuts :hungry:

I got hit by a youth on a (motor) scooter on an off road path. He was charged with "due care & attention" (along with no insurance, no licence etc). If this over 250W then I'd expect similar.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I agree with reporting to police etc but in the interests of conversation, I will play devils advocate.

If this guy was riding a normal bike at 25nph but slowing down where the blind spots are, would that be ok?
Does the guy on the speed derestricted e-bike slow down for the blind spots?
Is this a problem of e-bikes, or just not slowing down at appropriate times, regardless of bike type?

I take your point, and an Ahole is aAhole regardless..

But in this context it's a large ish man on a heavy bike doing a very unsafe speed.

After talking to a few locals he's been noted and a accident waiting to happen.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I got hit by a youth on a (motor) scooter on an off road path. He was charged with "due care & attention" (along with no insurance, no licence etc). If this over 250W then I'd expect similar.

Not at all funny, and I think this would be the same charge, unlicensed no insurance ect ect

Smudge

Veteran
I agree with reporting to police etc but in the interests of conversation, I will play devils advocate.

If this guy was riding a normal bike at 25nph but slowing down where the blind spots are, would that be ok?
Is this a problem of e-bikes, or just not slowing down at appropriate times, regardless of bike type?

It takes a very fit cyclist to consistently ride at those speeds. The thing with illegal ebikes, is that anyone on them can ride at those fast speeds. Some with an illegal ebike may ride cautiously, but i suspect that most wont, seeing as they're already happy to break the law by using an illegal ebike.

It’s very easy to mod a lot of the e-bikes available with something as simple as a wheel size mis calibration. I’ve had ‘generic food delivery company’ riders, on e bikes overtaking me, in a 40 limit, whilst I’ve been doing 40, in my car:laugh:. It’s even more of a problem if it’s a park, cycle lane, and I’m on my bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
It’s very easy to mod a lot of the e-bikes available with something as simple as a wheel size mis calibration. I’ve had ‘generic food delivery company’ riders, in e bikes overtaking me, in a 40 limit, whilst I’ve been doing 40, in my car:laugh:. It’s even more of a problem if it’s a park, cycle lane, and I’m on my bike.

Serious projectile, at 40 bloody hell ..

Serious projectile, at 40 bloody hell ..
I think it was one of these.

Only just an e bike, but it was pretty quick.

PK99

Legendary Member

Unlikely to be able to keep up 20-30mph (see OP) on a normal bike!

Top Bottom